Light Saber Layered

I actually bought it on Etsy. The guy has some really nice looking light saber designs, so I asked if he had Darth Maul. He designed it for me.

I’m not sure what you mean by guide pins. Is that something like a dowel you put down the center to align all the discs?

I was thinking 1/8 inch, either MDF or acrylic.

Are you slicing it into discs, or the long way, into vertical slices?

1 Like

Yeah you got it with the guide pins, like tooth picks or chop sticks to help align the layers. Would need the thickness (edit: of the material) as accurate as you can measure because the error would add up across lots of layers, down to the 0.000" if possible. Can slice it any direction you want but because it is a purchased file there might be some issues sending it to me even tho i would probably never use it beyond helping you here. If its an issue and you are able to download the program i mentioned before i could walk you through it step by step to get you where you need to go.

1 Like

She was always bummed she never was able to find “named” items with Celeste on it.

key chains, license plates for your bike etc.

1 Like

Me too! Never had personalized pencils, hair barrettes, nothing!

I’m assuming it would be best to have one guide pin for the entire length? I’ll look for a thin dowel. I have bamboo skewers, but I am not sure they would be long enough.

I would not go with a thin dowel. I would go with a 1/2" or so. between that and gluing all of the discs together, you’ll end up with something very strong.

Here’s a tutorial on how to do this sort of thing…

2 Likes

@primalhealer I finally got a dowel and measured it in several places. No surprises, it was different in each spot I measured. The widths I measured are: 0.4605, 0.4629, 0.4559, 0.4640, and 0.4825. All for a half-inch dowel! Do you take an average?

An average would work or you can size it to the smaller spot so its a snug but not tight fit so the thicker spots probably fit fine with a bit of force if needed or a quick sanding. Will probably need some tooth picks as well for the end of the saber where the finer detail is.

Shall I send you the file? I assume I need to do that outside the forum so no one else downloads it. What is your preferred method of contact?

Celeste

Could just utilize the private message function of the forums.

@primalhealer Here is the file. My material is 1/8 in MDF. I will be doing the smaller one. Maybe that will only take 750 hours instead of 1500!

Thanks!

Edit: I removed the file as somehow I mixed up private messaging.

1 Like

@celesteprobichaux

It didn’t go via private message. Anyone can get it right now

What did I do wrong? I will take it down.

Celeste

I think you just posted it. Select the icon of the recipient and click on message.

OK I did that. Can you still see it?

1 Like

Nope! Now just check if it got where you sent it.

@primal_healer Did you get my private message with the file?

1 Like

yes i did

1 Like

Thank you.

Celeste

1 Like