Lightsabers vs. Laser Pointers: Which is Cooler?

My range (private club) allows Class III (full auto, silencers, etc) and we often have matches featuring belt-fed water-cooled 50 cal rifles (aka machine guns). The concussion from those firing can push an observer standing behind the shooter backwards :smile:

It doesn’t happen often though because you’re just burning money that way. Really expensive toy.

A 50 cal rifle is generally one of the most accurate you can get. The weight of the bullet and the corresponding weight of the rifle makes for an incredibly flat and stable shot. One of the reasons it’s the favored sniper rifle.

3 Likes

No doubt, wish I could say that I’ve got to shoot one, but not yet. A .50 handgun, totally cool and not a single real life purpose I can think of unless you’re dirty Harry or a drug dealer. Since I’m a preacher I probably won’t find a real need, unless I go for the “Lawman Reverend Brown Approach.” But hey, why should every purchase be “needed.” :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

The other reason is its knock-down power.
There is a video of different caliber rounds hitting a 55 gallon barrel ful of water.
.22 punches a hole, no movement in the barrel.
.38 wiggles the barrel.
.45 shakes the barrel
.50 rips the whole side open

5 Likes

About 11 years ago I was dating a relatively small girl. We were at Bass Pro Shops one day, and she asked to hold a S&W 500.

and yes, she is holding it all wrong… it is not a light-weight thing. She is actually laughing in the photo at the thought of someone her size trying to control something this large.

10 Likes

I know there are arguments for and against, but there are times when I much prefer being from England and now living in Australia where gun ownership is restricted much more than the US.

Not wanting to start a political discussion of a flame war… just saying. :slight_smile: :gb: :earth_asia:

[Edit] And I started this topic on Lightsabers vs Laser Pointers!!!

7 Likes

One of my pistol class students was like that. She wanted to carry & shoot a 44 magnum because “it’s the most powerful handgun…” (it’s not). I tried to explain that it wasn’t a good concealed carry weapon and would be hard to handle.

She ignored the advice. Got her carry permit and started coming to the range a lot to practice. 3 months later her hand and wrist were in a cast - she had stress fractures in half a dozen bones.

4 Likes

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

I’ve shot one in .460, just like this one, but with a scope:

It was a tack driver; at 100 yards:

7 Likes

I shot one of those for the first time a couple months back. Pulled off 5 rounds and decided I wasn’t having any fun :smile: it was accurate, but realized many years of shooting a 9mm has made me a wimp.

4 Likes

pretty good way to literally drive a pet insane, too. dogs are more susceptible to this than cats, i think, but it’s not really good for either. completely aside from the idea that it looks like the poor thing’s ear is taped down.

cruel either way.

2 Likes

I agree- I couldn’t do this to my babies…:smile_cat::cat::dog: