Lill pins

And now for something completely different.
Does anyone have ‘lill’ pins ? They’re about 1/2 long, and very fine.
I need a few dozen, not the 18000/lb that is all I can find in US.
UK and Australia sell them in small quantities, about an ounce, but no one here that I can find !
John the :upside_down_face: fanmaker

1 Like

Hmmmm. Try searching for 24 gauge 1/2 inch head pins. They are available in sterling silver and gold filled on Amazon or Beadaholique. But the ends are blunt, not sharp.

And by the way, isn’t it about time we see a fan in Made On A Glowforge? :smile:

9 Likes

In the United States they’re called sequin pins and you should be able to find them at most fabric/craft stores. For 1/2" you want #8 size.

JoAnn carries the excellent Dritz nickel-plated #8 sequin pins.

Michael’s used to carry Darice pins which are also good but it looks like they don’t carry them in stores anymore. Instead they have their inferior Loops & Threads house brand which I’d avoid if possible. (Although you might find them useful if you want very small heads on your pins.)

Michael’s does still carry Darice online, but only for bulk orders of 12 boxes of pins: silver color or gold color.

If you need something longer #12 sequin pins (3/4") are also readily available. #17 (1-1/16") are also available but much harder to find. There’s also a wide variety of other types of pins: dress-maker pins, appliqué pins, satin pins, etc. Dritz makes a ton of different pins, with over 90 products just in the straight pin category.

I use a ton of the #8 sequin pins (either Darice or Dritz) when I’m framing my embroidery projects. (I like to stretch my fabric on a piece of acid-free foam board and pin it along the edges with prodigious quantities of sequin pins.)

15 Likes

Tim, that’s just the specialized knowledge I’ve come to expect from forum members !
Which, of course, is why I asked here. :wink:
Thanks for the info,
John :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

I couldn’t help but to think of Terry Pratchett’s Going Postal when I read this

4 Likes

I wonder how many of us on the forum have this sort of memory association.
While I am always surprised at what my own memory throws up, it’s comforting to see that others do as well.

2 Likes

LOL I just use them; I don’t collect them. (…yet?)

1 Like

For whomever, it’s pretty easy to set up an account with Darice, IIRC.

1 Like

Just a final comment - I found sequin pins in Hobby Lobby, and they seem to be very close to the ones I used in the past.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.