Limits of GFUI for rendering?

Can one of the webdevs answer this question?

I’ve got a 10mb pdf/svg (approx 100k paths) that I’m hoping I can print, however (predictably) it’s not rendering in the print ui. What’re the limits of the app in terms of rendering elements?

Alternatively, is there a way I can get raster images to cut? If I export my image as png, it renders and I can (probably) print it, however it doesn’t separate the engrave from the cut. Maybe if I uploaded them as separate files? but then I wouldn’t be able to get the alignment perfect…

1 Like

You can’t turn rasters into cuts. PDF/SVG combo? How did you make the file?

different versions of the same image. both don’t render :frowning:

Is this maybe something that you are trying to score? I can’t imagine 100k paths to cut unless it’s a lacey cut on some paper or something.

Dunno if this will help for 100k paths, but I have found that simply combining large batches of related paths (Inkscape: Path–>Combine, not sure what that is in other software), which has no real effect on the appearance of the output, can cut UI render times by a truly impressive factor. Easily a 10x speedup, maybe more. GF doesn’t seem to treat them any differently when they have been combined, but it seems to be less of a resource drain.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, there are several constraints that interact which can prevent complex files from uploading or printing. We’re working to improve this, but in the mean time we don’t have a clear set of rules for what will work and what won’t.

Regarding your question about cutting raster images: PNG images can only be engraved. To cut, you will need to create strokes (outlines) in design software like Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator. We’ve provided step-by-step guidance for a sample project here that combines an engrave and a cut: Make a Gift Tag from Scratch.

Often, a file with that many paths can be simplified. It’s possible the community might have some good suggestions under Tips and Tricks – could this post help with your file? Sketchup to Inkscape to SVG - right and wrong way

I’m going to close this thread, but please do open a new one if you have another question or if you want to share a solution!

3 Likes