Line errors

Occasionally, my GF will mess up and add a bunch of lines when I’m engraving (see photo). Anyone have any hints as to how to prevents this? Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 5.54.12 PM|527x500

Here’s a screenshot of the SVG file showing that those lines aren’t part of the design.

Watermark in the file?

Are they solid contiguous lines, or a bunch of little segments that look like a line?

If the latter, that could be the problem. When you engrave, the software has to try to close any unclosed shapes, and it might not close them the way that you want it to.

Without seeing the file, no way to tell what the problem is. I do a lot of vector engraving, never had an issue like that.

See how much darker the inner line (2) is than the outer one (1)? I guarantee you have a duplicate line - and it’s probably incomplete which is causing the GFUI to mess up.

3 Likes

The Glowforge does not mess up in this way, just like your computer printer does not print words not in the original document. Errors like this are almost always file errors.

4 Likes

There were multiple lines! I have no idea why, all I did was convert the text to outlines, but for some reason the inner circles of the “O” had 4 lines each. Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that you hit this snag, but I’m glad to hear you were able to find the error inside of the file, and resolve the file by following the advice of the community. I’ll close this thread for now, but if you run into any more trouble please don’t hesitate to reach out to us directly at support@glowforge.com