Lines through engraved photo

I engraved a photo for a friend and it came out with streaks and lines through the image. I read through some posts on the forum but couldn’t find the information I needed to help me. Here is how it turned out.
My settings were:
SD Graphic
1000 speed
100 power
vary power
LPI 270

Looks to me like subtle but regular changes in material density due to the pressure from the rollers that apply the veneer.

Not sure what you are doing with your settings. SD Graphic is a Proofgrade setting for solid vector shapes. Vary power only works with bitmaps - but does not usually produce good results for engraving photographic-style images.

Finally, support can’t help with non-Proofgrade materials or settings. What was the material?

1 Like

The material was not PG. I wasn’t completely sure which category to post this under. I was using 1/4” birch plywood. It was a bitmap image. Just trying to see how I can get better results.

Definitely not using Vary Power. Deeper does not equate to darker, and is hugely dependent on material density, including the natural grain. The dithering settings are usually better for images.

Birch is generally less suitable material for this kind of work, and might explain what I believe caused those lines. It’s great for cabinets that will be painted or stained. You might want to try something a little better quality - Baltic Birch tends to be more consistent, and is still pretty cheap.

1 Like

That is all a bit over my head. I’m still new to this. Not sure what a dithering setting is. But I will try a different material. Thanks for the suggestion.

Right under Vary Power:

You might want to spend a little time learning what the various settings do.

1 Like

Since this problem is being seen on materials that were purchased from another company, we can’t offer support for prints that don’t come out as expected. Materials may vary widely from piece to piece, even if they’re created by the same manufacturer. I’m going to move it to Beyond the Manual so other folks here can help. Should this happen with a print on Proofgrade materials, please open a new ticket in Problems and Support and we’ll help you right away!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.