LineThickness

Hi Everyone, I am trying to engrave a cutting board. I want to create a rectangle border that is about .25" wide. I cant seem to figure this out. I have used the Fill and Stroke to increase the way it looks on the screen but when I cut it it is just one single hairline cut on the board. How do I create this border?

You need a shape. What you’re describing in the SVG are lines.

Soo… there are a million posts about this on here somewhere, but they’ll be hard to search, so don’t feel bad.

Step 1: lets get you going. Next post in a minute.

3 Likes

First of all, we need to know what software you’re using.

If you’re using inkscape (the tool of choice, if you ask me :slight_smile: ) then you’ll select your rectangle and get the path thickness to how you want it to look… then go to Path->stroke to path. This essentially makes a path around your stroke. Now you’ll have a rectangular “donut” shape, and you’re good to engrave it.

If you’re not using Inkscape, then there will be some analogous action in whatever program you’re using.

Step 2: get you off on the right foot. Next post in a second.

1 Like

So, it sounds like you’re new. Line weights don’t matter to the glowforge, which is one of the first things you’ll learn.

So, considering that you’re just getting started, I strongly recommend going through everything you can be patient enough to read here:

Reading all this stuff is a lot, but it will pay off and save you so much time.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I have attached the cheese tray that I made for my kids.

Randy Goss
Vice President
Rosenberg Financial Group, Inc.
A Registered Investment Advisor
(478) 922-8100

www.retirerelax.com

2517 Moody Rd, Suite. 100, Warner Robins, GA 31088
4875 Riverside Dr, Suite 201, Macon, GA 31210

Securities offered through Royal Alliance Associates, Inc., Member FINRA/SIPC.
Advisory Services offered through Rosenberg Financial Group, Inc. A Registered
Investment Advisor not affiliated with Royal Alliance Associates, Inc.

That came out nicely… do you know what type of woodit is?

Yes, it is Spalted Oak. It’s noting you can find at the home improvement stores. I have a guy that is in the tree removal business and he has all kinds of exotic wood that makes for beautiful. I have a full wood shop and have fallen into a cutting board and cheese tray trend.

I have found that the GF needs to make 2 passes to get the appropriate depth of the cuts, especially in the blood groove. Using the GF is a lot easier than using the router to make the blood grooves.

Randy

Randy Goss
Vice President
A Registered Investment Advisor
(478) 922-8100

www.retirerelax.com

2517 Moody Rd, Suite. 100, Warner Robins, GA 31088
4875 Riverside Dr, Suite 201, Macon, GA 31210

Securities offered through Royal Alliance Associates, Inc., Member FINRA/SIPC.
Advisory Services offered through Rosenberg Financial Group, Inc. A Registered
Investment Advisor not affiliated with Royal Alliance Associates, Inc.

Your always a big help and a fantastic resource and as a way to say thanks I will cut you a cheese board it you want out of this spalted oak. Just send me your address and I will mail it to you. The one I did was 7…75” x 12” (roughly).

Randy Goss

Vice President
2517 Moody Road, Suite 100 Warner Robins, GA 31088
4875 Riverside Drive, Suite 201, Macon, GA 31210

(478) 922-8100

www.rfmoney.com
www.facebook.com/RetireRelax

Securities Offered through Royal Alliance Associates, Inc., member FINRA and SIPC. Advisory Services Offered Through Rosenberg Financial Group, A Registered Investment Advisor
not affiliated with Royal Alliance Associates, Inc. This message and any attachments hereto contain information that is confidential and is intended for use only by the addressee. If you
are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent of the intended recipient responsible for delivering the message, you are notified that any review, copying, distribution or use of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error. please (i) notify the sender immediately by email or by telephone and (ii) destroy all copies of this message.

Your always a great resource so I thought I would ask you. I created an Excel spreadsheet on how to calculate the correct distances for cutting without the crumb tray. If you would not mind doing a QC inspection on the attached to see if it makes sense to you. Since I cant post yet, if it is good you can post it.

GF Calculations.xlsx (13.3 KB)

1 Like

Hmm interesting. I’ll take a look when I’m back from vacation, maybe Sunday. @shop might be intrigued by this, or @marmak3261 or any number of other people.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.