Lithop Pot šŸ™‚

Are either of these clear?

1 Like

Yā€™all donā€™t ask much! Snort! ROFL! :smile:

5 Likes

Red Gard cures to forest green. Epoxy and polyester resins are clear.

2 Likes

Thanks! (Iā€™ll see what I can findā€¦)

1 Like

Most aerospace epoxies cure a light amber if the is too dark there are some make specifically to cure crystal clear.

I was looking for a good pint or quart kit but all I am finding is gal. This would do that project and about 5 more like it.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve got a little tiny bottle of epoxy, but Iā€™d been saving it to use as glueā€¦it might not be enough to do this thing.

But i doubt Iā€™ll need a gallonā€¦

Well, who knowsā€¦I might actually get into this down the roadā€¦

2 Likes

Michaelā€™s has 8 oz bottles of epoxy resin and hardener and they always have a 50% off coupon. You probably want epoxy, not polyester because you can use it inside without nasty fumes. Epoxy usually mixes one-to-one, where polyester uses just drops of hardener, making it easier to screw up the mix (my opinion).

8 Likes

I have played with FlexSeal spray, rubberized undercoating sprays, Plasti-Dip spray, and truck-bed coating sprays.
They are all finicky, and results will change a lot depending on how heavy you spray the stuff, and what the weather is like when you do. Thicker application will take a lot longer to dry than repeated thin coats.

FlexSeal worked great to fix a plastic tarp that had developed small holes, but was very easy to spray too much in one spot, creating a heavy area where it pooled. Also took quite a while to dry in a wet environmentā€¦ at least an hour or two between coats.

PlastiDip spray worked OK for me, mainly as a destructible/removable coating. I prefer using it in tub form, for dipping tool handles. The tub type might work well for being painted on with a brush.

Rubberized undercoat spraysā€¦ I have had miserable experiences with this stuff not drying for days.

Truckbed liner spray goes on thick and clumpy. It is more of an entire additional layer of material than a coating.

There are several manufacturers of Rubberized Underspray and Truckbed liner spray. They are not created equal. Always test first.

Always use a respirator with spray media. These rubber products should remind you of that if you forget, because they smell awfully chemical.

6 Likes

Andā€¦just as an interesting little aside to the storyā€¦Iā€™ve slain every one of those poor little lithops. (Think Iā€™ll build the pot first before springing for another batch.) :frowning:

Do be careful not to over-water if you get some. They donā€™t like it.

2 Likes

Jules ā€¦ The 23 Lithops killerā€¦ Able to slay them ALL!! :smirk:

7 Likes

if you need it waterproof. use drylock paint.

or that paint they use on the screen door boatā€¦ :slight_smile:

that would get the job done.

it is a very nifty looking project, BTW. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! :smiley:
But I am now lithopless. I haz a sad.

3 Likes

RIP little lithopsā€¦ :frowning2: The forum will never forget you !

8 Likes

I feel like such a monster! :scream:

4 Likes

I come from a land of succulents. No, lithops donā€™t like much water. Itā€™s worth it to purchase and use cactus soil. Place them in a sunny spot and let them heat up (theyā€™ll love it).

I had some in my backyard. 180 days without rain (only early morning dew)ā€¦they thrived and even flowered. Whoa.

Oh, if they shrivel, donā€™t give up on themā€¦even the shriveled ones can come back. Stick them in a dry sunny corner and letā€™m be :slight_smile:.

Good luck with the next batch!!

5 Likes

These are blackenedā€¦blackened lithopsā€¦sounds like a tasty Paul Prudhome Cajun dishā€¦sigh.

Next batch had better expect nothing in the way of liquid refreshment. :no_mouth:

10 Likes

Theyā€™re in a better place now, a place where the sun shines all day long and rain never touches the soil. :cry:

5 Likes

I know a lot of people with a green thumb whose homes look like nurseries. :seedling::cactus::sunflower: Ours is more of a hospice. :skull::fallen_leaf::flag_black:

15 Likes

Have you made this yet??? Did I miss the photos?

Chuckle! No, I killed all the plants. :rolling_eyes:

Iā€™m also planning to redesign the file, to use less wood and incorporate a cooler edge treatment that I tripped over during the testing.

This is one Iā€™ll get back to eventually when I have more time.
(And more material.) :smile:

3 Likes