Little magnet holder thing

Also made this little guy tonight too. Nothing fancy. I ordered some pretty dang powerful magnets, and they are actually a little difficult to lift off the crumb tray. Made this little shell? I guess you could call it for them. Was actually a good use of what little bit of draft board I had left on my original sheet lol

10 Likes

Nice, I’ve always just sandwiched mine in Gorilla Tape…

I trim with scissors, leaving a nice handle to grab. If I feel I need more “power” I just stack them…

Another added benefit is if they do accidentally snap together and shatter the tape keeps them safely contained. It may also help with dreaded neodymium magnets shattering GF lid glass when dropped on, but I’m not willing to test that! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

If you are having trouble lifting the magnet off the Crumb tray then it is likely that the electronics and fans are passing through strong fields above. Once you think about what happens with rapidly moving metal and electronics in the strong field you realize that it is not a good thing. :crazy_face: If you are going to use strong magnets on the crumb tray you will need to either buy them shielded or create a shield to keep the field below the laser head and fans.:slightly_frowning_face:

There was a lot of fan breakdown in the past that I now think was aggravated if not downright caused by strong magnets.:confounded:

5 Likes

I agree with this, I’m pretty sure one of my stronger magnets caused the new fan safeguards to stop the print. Since then, when I use strong magnets, I’ve kept them in front of the head path.

2 Likes

Even a wide washer on top would help. you can wave a bit of iron about and see what the field is like and how strong.

2 Likes

I just meant it was hard for me to lift them off the tray because I have a terrible habit of biting my fingernails lol

2 Likes