Make Magazine review of Glowforge

http://makezine.com/2017/01/25/glowforge-almost-worth-wait/

I’m still reading, but I wanted to share.

64 Likes

Tease, tease, tease…The days seem to go by fast except when I think about when will my GF come! Go :glowforge: - Rich

11 Likes

I just hopped onto the forums to see if anyone else had posted this yet. I haven’t read it but was sure others would want to see it.

5 Likes

This is the reality of laser cutters: Unless they are damaged in shipping or are of low quality to begin with, they just work.

Is that true? I’ve never heard anybody say that before.

5 Likes

This just came across my feed as well. Glad that they felt it was worth the wait. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice! I was looking forward to a review from Make! Good find!

3 Likes

I agree. Maybe it was a dis at 3d printers? Other than that I liked the article.

3 Likes

He had an interesting statement to those who have ordered the GF :glowforge:

“While I know a lot of customers and the community at large have lost some confidence in the Glowforge shipping, I would suggest holding out. It looks like the wait is almost over, and there is an amazing machine on its way.”

This is coming from a maker who has touched many a machine. :thumbsup:

21 Likes

I liked that.

1 Like

The link address is kinda funny though: ‘glowforge-almost-worth-wait’. Ha.

3 Likes

OH YEAH!! That’s the ticket

I liked this quote:

For a fun, almost gimmick feature, the Glowforge could scan a sketch on a sheet of material and then cut or engrave that sketch with minimal user input.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

That is not my experience, or that of anyone I know. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Thank you - it was great to read that

1 Like

Someone never bought a K40 on ebay !! :dizzy_face:

6 Likes

I think the clause “or are of low quality to begin with” covers K40’s on eBay.

11 Likes

Correct. Does anyone think Trotecs or Epilogs don’t just work? That’s part of what you pay for. Cheap Chinese lasers are cheap for a reason and don’t exhibit the same initial user experience as a “real” or professional grade laser.

9 Likes

Most of the lasers being sold have public user manuals - it’s easy enough to read it and see if you have to align the laser yourself, which I’d recommend if you’re thinking about buying one.

(We’re working on ours - it’s not quite to the point where we’re proud of it yet)

11 Likes

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
No.

Just… Yeah. What @dan said.

My scrap bin is full of failures and I have gotten scary good at re-lining prints up.

6 Likes

More like someone’s never had their power supply go out mid-print on a Universal Laser. :joy:

3 Likes