Looking for a puzzle of a puzzle? 3D Puzzle!

I like your idea. You could really do some fun creative things with this.

2 Likes

I designed it in Cuttle, but it is not as efficient for the cuts, so I enhanced it after it was built.

I agree it would make it to easy, plus the photos wouldnā€™t necessarily line up since there are so many ways to solve it.

2 Likes

The kerf is too large for me, the pieces are flopping around. Not criticism, Iā€™ll just continue down my own path of modifying the one you originally shared.

1 Like

Yeah, I didnā€™t design it for press fit, it was designed to be glued.

I am trying to simplify the cutting process and reduce waste, but I have an idea for press-fit also.

1 Like

I intend to use glue also but the pieces are really loose and I canā€™t get them to stay in shape. Again, I am using chipboard and the design is a little smaller, just different scale. I appreciate the effort. Donā€™t know if my daughter will want it anyway, Iā€™ve frustrated her with too many others in the past!

1 Like

Maybe that would be part of the challenge and make it not so easy.

1 Like

Bless your heart!! Thank you. Iā€™m out of state for vacay until next week but will definitely print this for my girls. They will love it!! Thanks again!

2 Likes

I reduced the cube size from 0.75" to 0.6" and configured it for 0.125" (Proofgrade) Draftboard. I adjusted for 0.0104" (1px) of kerf. And it turned out beautifully!

8 Piece Block Puzzle - All Pieces (0.60 @ 0.125 + kerf - optimized)

(Edit: I optimized the design and uploaded the new SVG.)

10 Likes

Cool puzzle, thanks!

2 Likes

I was putting together to new smaller version of this (Draftboard) and noticed that it snapped together, so much less glue. (I will probably still glue the end-caps just to make sure it doesnā€™t come apart.)

But I also noticed that some of the piece inter-change in some places and not others.

This can make the puzzle more difficult than I intended. So I simplified some of the pieces to make it easier initially. (I am also playing with an automated optimizer, but it is not entirely working yet.)

8 Piece Block Puzzle - All Pieces (0.60 @ 0.125 + kerf - optimized v2)

That being said, these wooden ones are so much better then the original cardboard!

I feel like I should make a box for them now.

And it turns out these small pieces are a great use for scrap!

6 Likes

Iā€™m going to end up making one of these, and add the piece I need to make the SOMA cute. Thank you!

3 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::+1:

2 Likes

I have completed the Cuttle project for this!

Now you should be able to specify your own block size, material width, and kerf settings! (I will add this to the original post also.)

@hansepe I will see if can create that version for you now that the Cuttle version is working.

11 Likes

Thank you. That was totally unexpected that youā€™d even try.

Iā€™ve been playing with SOMA cubes forā€¦ a long, long time and recognized 6 out of the 7 pieces needed :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Here it is:

It was pretty easy now that it is programmatic. It is untested in this form, but it should work just like my other version.

SOMA Cube - All Pieces

8 Likes

Sweet. Thank you. I may cut it tonight! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for all the work on the design of the pieces. Iā€™ll try making it after my current mammoth project is complete. I just finished two sets of the Harry Potter Monopoly game by @ahvaness. I encountered a few self-inflicted learning experiences during that project. Only two more games to make.

Anyway, on your puzzle project, I notice that all of the fingers for the joints are keystone shaped (not sure what woodworkers call them). Why is that?

2 Likes

Sorry, @stevegrimaud I missed your question!

My tabs are ā€œkeystoneā€ shaped so that they can be cut from the same piece but still account for kerf and have a tight fit. It is a method I started playing with to reduce waste and speed up cut times.

@hansepe SOMA Cube!

I think the kids will really enjoy this one too.

We have been playing with the puzzles quite a bit.

I thought about trying to add this to the catalog, but it is still under copywrite: https://www.fam-bundgaard.dk/SOMA/COPYRIGT.HTM

7 Likes

That came out great.

Probably at least another 20 years on copyright Iā€™m guessing.

4 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. Thatā€™s an interesting way to address the kerf and tab fitting issue.

2 Likes