Looking for 'bulk' workbench helping-hands flexible arm tube stuff

Anyone know where to order longer lengths of that flexible arm stuff? Y’know the arms that are normally attached to a base, and end in an alligator clip or light or magnifying glass? I have some ideas for a customized “helping-hands” base I’d like to make for myself and, rather than buy an existing one and cut it apart, I’d ideally like to just get my hands on a bulk coil of the stuff that I could cut to the lengths I need.
Ideally looking for the fairly stiff black/silver metal kind that looks like a coil wrapped tube; I guess hollow for wires would be handy but not critical. The kind that looks like a series of (often blue) cones snapped into each other (I think often used for directing air jets to blow away dust from cutting tools) is not what I’m looking for. I don’t they are stiff enough for what I want to do.
If none of this paints a picture for you let me know and I’ll dig up and example.
Bonus points and a crisp high-five for anyone who has used this stuff in their own DIY projects.
Thanks!

It’s called “gooseneck” in the industry. You can buy it in bulk but for a small project, it’s likely a lot cheaper to get shorter lengths on Amazon, eBay, Alibaba, etc.

5 Likes

I’ll add, there’s good reason the line-loc stuff has become popular. It’s better in every way, and a heck of a lot cheaper. It’s been used in pro applications from manufacturing to the film industry since its inception.

3 Likes

As @eflyguy said what you are talking about is called gooseneck but I’d suggest using cooling fluid hose instead as it holds its position better and in my opinion is more versatile.

2 Likes

“Gooseneck” is a snappier term than “flexible arm tube stuff”, I will grant you.

5 Likes

Bought many years ago from a Jewelers supply and there is no name on it… sorry, but this is the best I had ever seen. The jaws are tungsten so the can take the heat at a torch.
I just have it mounted to a bench pin.

Google Photos

I did find One that looks identical, but I don’t remember paying that much.

4 Likes

I paid $100 for my Burnout oven and for my two geared flexible shaft that I do not even see anymore but even the one speed is pricy, but then I see that gold and silver base price are more than ten times what they were too.

2 Likes

+1 for Loc-Line. It’s good stuff. I used some to make a lamp recently.

Edit: Which is to say that it is stiff enough to hold up a socket and a Lifx bulb … if you run armature wire inside it with the cord. So, that might be a way to make it stiff enough for your needs …

1 Like

I love how you ask a question on this site and get an education with your answer. I learn something new every day here. Now if I could only get all that info to stick in the brain box I’d be good lol.

8 Likes

Bookmarks, my friend… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So true. If I didn’t have this computer and of course google I’d be as dumb as a bag of hammers :laughing:

1 Like

Regular bookmarks got away from me long ago as there are just too many things. I stick everything I find interesting in a freeform database. I use Onenote but there are several good ones.

5 Likes

I’ve been sticking stuff into a folder I call Glowforge stuff. It is getting to be quite large though. I’m going to have to get in there soon and create some sub folders.

2 Likes
  • Stuff
    Makerstuff
    Glowforge
    …Materials
    … … … … Wood
    … … … … Plastic
    … … … … other

Can’t get Discourse to do better :confounded:

1 Like

I have tried the LocLine version and in my opinion there is too much overall flex and bounce in the accumulated joints to be useful, and the force required to adjust it is too high. While it is better than the cheap ball joint garbage, it is still frustrating to use. I have been trialing the steel flex arms that QuadHands uses and so far I like it, but I haven’t used it a lot yet.

You can get the LocLine from McMaster-Carr www.mcmaster.com for about 7.00 per foot for 1/4 inch. They also have acid resistant and 1/2 inch versions.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.