Looking for collaborators to make videos for LinkedIn

I bet! step 1 didn’t sound too good… Glad we didn’t reach step 2.

@jbmanning uses the Glowforge professionally to finance his wild and wooly lifestyle.
(So does @jbv, who is a graphic artist.)
Both are Illustrator experts, as well as @shop .

You’ve got a lot of good talent here. (Should probably also hit up @geek2nurse and @Xabbess for Affinity AD related questions/content, and @evansd2 and @marmak3261 for Inkscape content. @jamesdhatch and @kittski for Corel. )

Once things get going. :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I’m not super action of the forums but I recognize you and a couple of those names. It’s good to know who does knows what.

I’d love to see the guys who understand what’s going on get together and do it as a team. You’ll get enough to write an entire course that way.

@Jules
@jbv
@shop
@jbmanning5
Do any of you have any ideas on what the sample video should be about? I was thinking a basic over view on how to test new materials and dial in the most ideal settings. Though I worry about the feasibility of condensing that to 5 minutes.

1 Like

It’s just a demo? Run through this tutorial in video format:

2 Likes

Correct, it’s just a sample.
I’ve read that tutorial before it, it’s a good one. My only issue is that it requires a lot of specific visuals
of a program outside of Glowforge’s software to explain properly. I was thinking to do something a little more generic or maybe theory/process oriented. That way I could use existing B-roll footage of the laser cutter in action and keep my filming/screen capture to a minimum.

That sounds good.

I’m not sure what stats GF has concerning average user-age. But, the google says 61% of LinkedIn users are between 30-64. And 25% between 18-29. With such a large percentage between 30-64, I’d say the sweet spot audience is probably 35-50.

I’m not sure why that’s relevant to my next thought… which is, why deviate very far from the training Glowforge has put together, particularly for the first 3 prints? And also particularly for a sample video?

1 Like

Well, the only reason I can think off is because I’m over thinking it.
And I never actually did the first 3 prints besides the founder’s ruler.
Besides the ruler, they have a similar issue of me having to film more then I might want. But I can get over that. The set up for filming can take a while but I’m sure I can crop the video to keep my messy work shop out of frame. :laughing:

The target age is interesting to know, if not currently applicable.

1 Like

Age (and other factors) play into successful e-learning.

My thinking is that this isn’t really an extended submission period, so overthinking it could lead to being late or at best a time crunch.

1 Like

Don’t forget @Secret_Sauce for Fusion 360.

2 Likes

And you for that one as well. (I figured that might be a little too advanced for the initial course. Definitely the advanced course.) :wink:

Lol, what you talking about? I know nothing, I’m just arrogant enough to spout off. :smile:

Taught me how to use it. You could definitely come up with Glowforge geared content. (I’ve been watching for a couple years now.) :wink:

2 Likes

That’s true, I expect the sooner the video is submitted the better.

Ok, what about a short video that covers the basics of the GF interface and trace function? The timeline could go something like this.

Place a drawing in GF
Demonstrate trace function in UI
Place material in GF
Explain UI elements and functionality
Press Print
Pull out finished piece
Fade to logo :glowforge:

I think you’re looking at this wrong. Yes, it’s on LinkedIn, but that’s only because LinkedIn bought Lynda.com. You really should consider the Lynda.com demographics, which are probably not the same.

1 Like

Maybe!

Just observing the participants here and on Facebook, that seems about right though for a user base.

I would expect Lynda to have a larger “millennial” user base. but I’m completely making that up.

Regarding experts, we haven’t seen “The Laser Lady” in quite a while. Is @smcgathyfay still around?

6 Likes