Looking forward

HF is addicting! Like others have mentioned though, do your research. There’s some awesome deals and porducts, but sometimes the quality isn’t there and you get what you pay for.

2 Likes

I get weekly add mailers, there is always a Harbor freight coupon. Dirt bike magazines often have a HF ad with coupon, as does Popular Mechanics, and maybe Make magazine too. Then when you sign up, you get regular coupons in the mail.
My experiences:
I got a little heat gun from HF that still works great after four (?) years.
Had a lock-clipper from there that was replaced under warranty after every third clip (cost of gas to go replace it eventually beat out the cost savings vs a nice one).
My sandblasting cabinet has been decent, but I put in a fair amount of time “fixing” it before putting it together, and there is still much room for improvement. The sandblasting gun that came with it is very low quality, but there are ways to upgrade it.
Fixed dirt bike stand - awesome. ‘Lifting’ motorcycle stand -scary failure.
Hydraulic ATV jack was very useful, but the hydraulics themselves were junk.
Decent black nitrile gloves, not so much for the blue latex ones.
Stepped drill bits for really cheap, but don’t hold an edge for terribly long.
Great little disposable foam and wire brushes.
Free flashlight coupons: fair leds, junk batteries and switches.
Free tape measure coupons: sweet.
Free screwdriver coupons: I wouldn’t use these for anything too precious, but great for tossing extra sets in needful spots for quick and dirty.
I would not buy their sockets sets: I hate rounded fasteners.

2 Likes

But if you want a “pick” for weeding vinyl ( or maybe removing masking?) they have (HF) a selection of decent ones for fraction of cost elsewhere!! Also cheap “exacto” knives . Always use a coupon for the freebie ( the free lint cloths are always handy, flashlight -ehhh they’re free, batteries - wouldn’t even try - electric fly swatter - fun novelty at outdoor party, - screwdrivers - nice disposable for generic use, multimeter - hmm too scary, tape measure - most handy !, extended gripper - cheap but again free (5’3" - I’ve actually used it), magnetic tray - handy when it’s needed !!) What other coupons has anyone else used for the freebie?

4 Likes

Bunch of their stuff.
4" angle grinder(s) the $12 specials lunch the berrings in short order, :thumbsdown: but the $20+ units have served me well. I punish those things. :+1:
I have respect for anything doing 13,000 rpm like the grinder discs, so I keep most of my body away from the plane of rotation - especially Chinese discs.
14" metal abrasive chop saw :+1:
10" sliding compound miter saw :+1:
Reciprocating saw :+1:
Combo belt/disc sander :+1:
Shielded wire feed MIG welder :+1:
Mini metal lathe :+1:
Metal adjustable quick clamps with the threaded screw handle on the lower jaw. @ $4 those things rock! :+1:
The plastic squeeze handle quick clamps I busted with my grip. :thumbsdown:
Jack stands, 2-2 ton and 2-6 ton :+1:

All of these are occasional use and serve. For heavy use I would invest in a higher grade - with the exception of the 4" grinders. Bang for the buck is there.

2 Likes

Even the metal lathe? darn.

2 Likes

Reciprocating saw, large wood lathe, Angle grinder, rotary tool("dremel’) and quick clamps have all worked well for me though with the exception of the lathe they don’t get heavy use

1 Like

It’s been a lot of fun. The weak point in it is the changeable plastic gears (for cutting threads). Jam the tool (stupidity) and you will peel the teeth on them (guess how I know that).
For light duty hobby use it is perfect.

4 Likes

Are the gears big enough to 3D-print them out of, say, nylon?

2 Likes

Will the forge be able to cut nylon gears from sheet ?

2 Likes

Yes, maybe 8 of them from about 3" down to about 1.5". I don’t use it to cut threads so I don’t use them.

@johnbrooker I don’t know about cutting nylon with a laser, no knowledge.

1 Like

Delrin seems to be the preferred laser cut gear material. Nylon seems to be a bit melty.

http://www.synrad.com/synradinside/pdfs/LaserProcessingGuide_Plastics.pdf

5 Likes

Thanks for that link.
I note with interest that have no safety issues with teflon (PTFE), which is my mould making material of choice, even though some site comment about toxic fumes.
If it is mainly being ablated by the laser, I wonder just what level of fumes are actually produced.
I seem to remember that one of the other big laser manufacturers also was quite positive about it cutting very cleanly.

There’s a big difference in being able to detect toxic gases in a gas chromatograph, and there being a high enough level to present a hazard.
Difficult to find quantitative data.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s the dose that makes the poison. Enough of anything will do you in.

@marmak3261 - Thanks. I thought Derlin would be the choice considering how tough it is.

2 Likes

exactly, and on top of that, your exposure is going to be (an admitted guess) probably a few percent of that that’s even generated.

3 Likes

So if it’s an occasional use of PTFE, then that would be the time to vent to the outside, (and poison the neighbours :wink: )rather than use the filter unit (which I’ve ordered ).
This assumes the ‘toxic fumes’ are not detrimental to the Forge, of course ?

Once I get my hands on some proofgrade acetal (is that in the package ?) or similar, and see how well that 3d engraves, I might not have to go there, anyway.
I’m looking to mould 1mm thick layers of filled PU, need easy release, but want to avoid silicone rubber as an intermediate step in the process. So the slight flexibility of a thin sheet of a suitable plastic might be the way to go.

2 Likes