Loose Belt (Again)

Discovered that the belt was loose this morning. Turned it off, unplugged it and took the tray out to tighten it. It looked as though it worked and when I tried to print the letters were disjointed and curvy.

Tried the camera calibration and immediately it was off and I stopped it. Never has it not gone through the calibration. Looked at the belt and it’s loose again. I’ve shut it down because I’m totally frustrated thinking about the amount of work I have to do.

Any ideas?

Did you follow these instructions? https://glowforge.com/support/topic/troubleshooting/Instructions

1 Like

I did, but trying it again. Thank you for your help.

1 Like

If it’s continuously getting loose you may have a stripped bolt/nut - (I don’t know if this is possible) might be worth pulling it out all the way and checking to see if the threads are stripped…

1 Like

The fifth time was the charm…I was able to print something correctly. Are there instructions on how to check to see if the threads are stripped? Thanks so much!

Here is a photo of a bolt with stripped threads. If your’s is working, I’d leave it be, but if it loosens up again remove the bolt enirely and take a look at it. The threads should be clean, not mushed up like the photo. If they are stripped, I’m sure support can send you a new bolt.

4 Likes

Thanks for the visual…fingers crossed that it stays tight.

1 Like

My question is…why would the bolt be getting stripped in the first place? If it is, is it a design flaw?

Likely it isn’t stripped.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear that you hit this snag. I’m so glad that working through the instructions a couple of times has helped resolve the trouble. I’ve extracted the log files from your Glowforge, and reviewed your most recent prints. It does appear that you Glowforge is performing within specification, and the trouble has not occurred again.

I’ll close this ticket for now, but please don’t hesitate to reach out to us directly at support@glowforge if you experience the same behavior in the future. We’re here to help!