Loose nut in the Glowforge

Hey yall,

Opened the Glowforge today to find this loose Nut sitting on the bed. I can’t for the life of me figure out where it came off! Any ideas where it goes?

Our GF is part of a school makerspace, so it is possible a student slipped it in for reasons unknown, but I think it’s unlikely.

1 Like

Doesn’t look like anything I have ever seen associated with the Glowforge. I suggest you carry on.

1 Like

I wouldn’t tell them about the extra parts! They might want to charge you extra for them LOL.
I actually had a few extra screws in mine when I got it.

Thanks for asking about the mysterious locking nut. That could be from the printer, we use those type of nuts to secure the bolts on the lid hinges.

Could you please do the following?

1. Turn off your Glowforge.
  2. Open the lid all the way and pull the laser arm to the front.
  3. Locate the two hinges at the bottom of the lid.
  4. Check that each hinge has a nut securing each of the four bolts in the hinge, like in this photo below:

5. If one of the nuts are missing, please take a photo and attach it to your reply. We’ll follow up with additional steps.

Let me know what you find or if you have any questions!

3 Likes

While the nut does appear to be roughly the same size, looks like all of the hinge nuts are present and accounted for. Any other thoughts on where I should check?

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for confirming. It is likely that piece was an extra piece from the factory. I’m sorry for the confusion.

Just confirming what Pip posted yesterday, if all the hinge nuts are installed, that is the only place in the printer where these are used. Not sure if it was a piece from your makerspace or an extra from us, but either way, you are good to continue printing. Since the mystery item isn’t from the printer, I’m going to close this post.

If you need anything else, please start a new post or email us at support@glowforge.com.