Lord of the Rings photoshoot

Here are some fan art images that my son created. We used the Glowforge to make the hobbit house based upon some images we found on the internet and watching the movies.

Here is a screen shot of the design work in Draftsight. If only Glowforge would print from DXF files, that would save me hours of design time.

Draftboard parts and sub assemblies

Here is a shot during the build.

Hope you like it.

66 Likes

Really cool project.

There are dxf to svg converters on the web. Should only take a minute or two, not hours?

5 Likes

Great job on the details! Love the fence and the windows! :grinning:

3 Likes

There’s all kinds of DXF to SVG to DXF to whatever converters out there. I use em all the time to migrate stuff in AutoCAD. Granted it’s not perfect, you end up with a lot of splines and junk you sometimes can’t use, but for the most part it works.

2 Likes

Like? I love :two_hearts: love :two_hearts: :heart: it! Totally looks like screenshots from the movies, my all time favorites.

4 Likes

You know that feeling that you get in the pit of your stomach when you’re truly in awe of something? Where you want to yell and laugh and cry and basically emotionally explode (in a good way)?

Yep! That’s the way I feel looking at these pictures. AMAZING.

9 Likes

Yes, I translate DXF to SVG using Inkscape. It works well and it’s a reasonable workaround. Takes a couple of minutes per print to load, adjust, and save out. I never get my parts right the first time out, so after about 2 to 4 times going back and forth it gets tedious.

5 Likes

Thanks Tom, I will let him know you like them.

2 Likes

Mind boggling - amazing! Such a fabulous collaboration between you two.

2 Likes

This sounds like a good justification to invest in learning Inkscape (or a vector program of your choice), maybe? Your design was actually a fairly simple one for this, would have been an excellent project to get more familiar with it. It’ll definitely save you time long term.

Also I don’t know about draftsight, but if it puts out PDFs, the GF speaks PDF…

3 Likes

I haven’t tried it with Draftsight as I only have the free version, but SolidWorks saves DXF to PDF and the GF imports them as vectors. I suspect @evansd2 is correct and you could just export from DraftSight to PDF and straight into the GF. Always worth trying.

1 Like

This might scare you but Blender does a great job with 3D dxfs and there are a number of ways to treat it from a grayscale 3d to a series of layers in a STL file.

The new Blender is apparently far more user friendly than before. Heck you could do the whole photoshoot inside Blender,

1 Like

Fabulous collaboration!

Another really great photo! Awesome use of the GF for background. Really Amazing!

1 Like

Stunning. The Tolkien world just begs to be made reality, in any medium! I still have my 1976 Tolkien calendar. The first step I did outside of the books.

5 Likes

Fabulous! Did they do a time-lapse of this one like the post-apocalyptic one? If yes, I’d love to see it!

3 Likes

Wow! Solid miniature work. Hope you and your son do more.

3 Likes

Love this so much!!!

1 Like

no time lapse unfortunately.

1 Like

This is beautiful

2 Likes