Loving these boxes!

I am addicted to making boxes with the boxes.py app (thanks Nick!). I made 7" ones to store the risers (from “free designs”), and just did these 10" ones to store my ribbon spools. I am very pleased with how they turned out.
I used to store my ribbons in a box or a drawer, and had to keep the ends down with pins. These boxes allow me to not only easily see my ribbons, but I can easily cut to length and change out empty spools. Plus, if I run out of room, I can just make more!
I did find that I had to gently tap the pieces together with a rubber mallet, (being very careful with the plexiglass, one of which I cracked, but not enough to make it not hold) and that is fine - it made for a nice tight fit!
Now I’m trying to figure out how to make more things to help organize my craft room!

43 Likes

These look great! Practical, useful cut!

7 Likes

Thank you! I had tried the “rod through the middle” routine before, and hated it. You had to unload any spools up to the point you wanted to replace an empty spool. These have no top, so all you have to do is lift the empty one out. I do, however, need to design a top that just sits on the very top one and doesn’t snap down or anything, just to keep the top row from getting all dusty.
And that is what I love about the Glowforge - making practical things! So much more fun than just buying something off the shelf.

7 Likes

Not only that, but you inspire the rest of us. i’d have defaulted to the “rod through the middle” if you hadn’t posted an alternative.

5 Likes

I love that you made the fronts out of acrylic so you can see the ribbons. Very cool!

5 Likes

This is an excellent project. I have most of mine on rods … a total pain!

3 Likes

I may have to give this a try. I have one with the rod through the middle and like you said, i have to take it apart each time i use all the ribbon or need to add.

1 Like

Great project! The GF helps with so many things! Love it!

1 Like

Great practical project, just the way you like it!

1 Like

FYI - if you take your current design and cut a final shelf that’s only 1/2" deep or so - you’ll have a lid that sits on exactly as your other shelves do.

3 Likes

Oh, excellent idea! Thank you, that’s exactly what I’ll do! And this is why I love the GF community so much!

1 Like

Well I tried the 1/2", even a 1". Both made it to where the bottom that stacks is not deep enough to fit properly, and if I tried to redo it on boxes.py, it put the little curved parts on the bottom on the long edges instead of the sides and gave a lot less “holes” so that it wouldn’t match the look of the others. I’ll have to keep playing with it.

Excellent idea!!!

I am laughing because the high majority of men who read this post are thinking “What are all those ribbons for?”

Two questions men need to avoid asking women —

1. Why do we have so many pillows?
  2. What is that ribbon for?
1 Like

:joy: So true!

1 Like