Lv 1 Dice tower

Here is my latest tower. I made a small change, 1 remembered to mirror back the side the pieces to make it faster to engrave details. And made the lid pieces taller will upload the changes soon

8 Likes

Dice tower-v2.pdf (4.2 KB)
Dice%20tower-v2

I made a few adjustments. I reduced the size of the holes to get a better fit on the proofgrade materials. I gave it a little more depth. Some of the dice were getting stuck. I also squeezed it together to make it more efficient in the use of material.

3 Likes

I already see one thing I will have to change in the next version. The bottom ramp sits back a bit now and I could see a die getting caught there. I think I may have to extend the ramp a bit and make it a tad longer.

Actually if you cut an extra piece 2 1/4 x 2 7/8 it fits onto the last angled piece. I suppose I could get the gap smaller on the sides, but it lines up perfectly with the front, so no lip for dice to hang up on. I used draftboard for the first one and we’ll need to glue it but my kids love it!

9 Likes

That would fix this one but I will have to make a couple more so I still have to tweak the design. But I like the easy fix!

Black oiled leather in the tray.

Edit: oh yeah- solid mahogany.

20 Likes

Love that you put the 20 side up. Was that intentional, or just “the way the dice landed”?

Intentional :slight_smile:

Also slightly off topic but those engraves are unmodified. Mahogany engraves jet black.

7 Likes

I like that very much, I have a bit of Mahogany in my shop, I should really make something out of it that I can engrave on. Love that wood.

1 Like

i left a small gap between panels and the walls so that if something were to become jammed in the box you would have a way to access the middle levels. so i would like a way to preserve that feature but also reduce the gap.

1 Like

Loving the results with acrylic
28126626_10159830248460391_1030639521_o

!

16 Likes

Mine isn’t collapsible, either I missed that memo or I just got excited and glued it together. But

I did take out the bottom lip of the doorway since I ended up gluing it together. Dice were getting stuck there fairly regularly. Also lined the capture tray with a bit of leather… no particular reason why, just had some on hand.

Edit: The backIMG_20180214_224950610

Not your fault. I didn’t think about it til later. Thankfully I just made it of draftboard so I hacked the bottom lip of the doorway out with a box cutter. Bout an hour and a half of cutting and engraving total, and I don’t know how long finding, tracing, and positioning the engraves. I might have just wanted to have a “finished” thing in my hands and didn’t worry too much about the minutiae until it was too late.

I do plan on making another one out of something other than draftboard, so I will revisit it again. Personally I don’t think the bottom lip of the exit door really adds much structurally even without the tray. Perhaps longer tabs, to connect to a base, and through to a tray if people decide to go that route.

9 Likes

that is quite the engraving. glad i could save you some time. i tried to make the design so you could print the tower without the tray, if materials were an issue. i guess i forgot to add a key to the cut list

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this design! I’m the only one in my gaming group without my own dice tower, but now I can fix that. :smiley:

Go with a tray instead :wink:

Haha, I actually already have a dice box/tray combo. I just want that deafening rattle of my rogue’s 10d6 sneak attack echoing in a tower. I’ll have to use a material that can take a lot of abuse… :smile:

Your tray looks neat, though! I love seeing everyone’s creative designs here.

You want to make an impression, get yourself some tungsten dice. they are brutally heavy. I hung out with the guys at Norse Foundry at the last DragonCon, it’s really astounding how much heft tungsten has.

Of course, there’s the slight matter of price… Their 7 die set is $475.

There’s other options for impression making, like

I haven’t gotten around to engraving them yet, gotta rig up a tray-less engraving template, then do it over and over one engrave per side. Ugh. Come on, GF, add a pause/break action in the UI so I can engrave, pause, adjust, engrave, pause, adjust, etc.

It was this guy’s birthday yesterday, so I whipped up a tower for him. He’s a PhD mathematician specializing in knot theory, so I made the theme Celtic knots. And if the Celtic astrology website I found is to be believed, his significant animals are seals, seagulls, and sea horses, so I put seahorses on it.

13 Likes

Love it! (Two of my favorite things too.) :grinning:

1 Like