LZ 127 Graf Zeppelin - 32in

I wanted to double the size of my zeppelin model, but this would mean the ribs would be longer than the glowforge could cut. So I had to do a little head scratching to figure out how to slice the ribs into alternating lengths that overlap at the center of the model to hold the two halves together.

It was a fun exercise figuring out how to construct a model wider than the forge bed, and the result is pretty striking. Takes up a ton of shelf space though. Since I’ve iterated the design slightly before posting the plans, I now have a small fleet of these sitting around my office.

Plans are available on thingiverse. It’s designed for 0.15 inch stock, but you’ll need quite a lot of it.

41 Likes

Looks brilliant!

2 Likes

Are you going to cover with paper ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the covering if any should be something transparent to let the structure show. Thanks for making the files available.

2 Likes

Great job
I am picturing a stop action fleet attack with one crashing into your computer.

3 Likes

Chuckle! You’ve even got one hiding in wait on your ceiling fan!
:smile:

4 Likes

Really great results, I LOVE that kind of stuff.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this. Nice project!

2 Likes

I’ve been tempted. I think I’d refactor it slightly for some 1/16th balsa for that though.

And more than a few times I’ve thought about zeppelin shaped lamp covered with some translucent fabric, something that would appear to glow when lit from the inside.

3 Likes

Very cool model!

2 Likes

Another incredible project that I need to try.

1 Like