Machine caught fire. Please help!

So this material has never had any issues. Ive used this material for a year now and had no problems. The machine just caught fire. I had to use a fire extinguisher.

File was set up at 2 passes. During the 2nd pass, somehow the laser misaligned itself and caught
fire!

PXL_20210316_161343607|666x500

You should explain what exactly you need help with. Is the laser head damaged? Maybe the air assist fan? From your pics it doesn’t look like anything melted. Maybe you just need to give it a real good cleaning?

1 Like

First you need to determine the impact of that material that you are cutting to assess the damage. What exactly is it? Is that buildup of dust or whatever it is on the tube and head the result of that fire, or do you just not clean the machine very often?

1 Like

Im cutting acrylic. Ive cut this for over a year now. Nothin new. The buildup is from the fire extinguisher.

Ah! Of course! Didn’t think of spray from an extinguisher. :woman_facepalming:

At this point, I’d carefully clean all that mess off as best you can, then start assessing the damage to the components. Check for anything that looks frayed or melted like the belt underneath the laser arm, remove the head carefully and see if anything is melted inside, and take pictures of anything you can find to show support. They will be able to tell you how much, if anything, is user replaceable. (But we’ve seen worse fires, so you might get lucky.)

Oh and be sure to unplug the machine first.

1 Like

With that level of smoke it would appear way overpowered and the smoke trails every which way which suggests that the fan was not up to normal speed.

As this was before any flame got out it would be unrelated to the fire. Even if you were watching only the first few minutes it should have raised red flags.

I’m terribly sorry to hear about the trouble you experienced while printing.

I see you’ve also emailed us about this and I’ve just followed up there with the next steps. I’ll continue to work on this with you there, so this post will be closed.

1 Like