Machine engraving but not cutting/scoring

Help! My machine is engraving but won’t score or cut. The head moves back and forth but the laser doesn’t do anything. We’ve cleaned all the lenses. Are there other things I should be doing to make it work?
Thanks!

While you wait for official Glowforge support, I suggest you try to print the Gift of Good Measure on draftboard with proofgrade settings. Take and post photos of the result along with the date and time of the failed print.

I’m so sorry you ran into trouble with printing. I extracted logs from your Glowforge and it looks like you’ve been able to print. That’s great!

Could you please let me know if you’re still experiencing any problems with cutting and scoring?

If so can you tell me the time and date of the prints?

Check the power setting, sometimes it reverts to “1”.

You need to have vectors to score or cut. If it is going back and forth it is trying to engrave a very thin line,

An SVG is a container of both rasters (engrave only) and vectors (can be cut, score, or engraved) There are many ways to outline engraves with vectors, and to make your own vectors in programs like Inkscape, but you need those to cut.

1 Like

All morning we could only engrave, only score or only cut. Our machine won’t do all three at the same time. We’ve had this happen before and eventually it corrects itself. I typically always cut SVG files, so it’s not a file issue, and I have three colors set for three different commands. We clean the machine and lenses but it doesn’t fix our problem. Since this is a reoccurring problem for us, I was hoping there was a solution.

This doesn’t guarantee you can cut/score. SVGs can contain both raster (engrave only) and vector (all three options) elements.

1 Like

@CustomHouse Are there any particular designs you’re noticing this being problematic with? If so, and you’re willing to share the design file with us, we’d love to take a look at the design file to see if we can help discern what may be causing this behavior further.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.