Machine not focusing correctly starting yesterday

I’ve been using this thing cutting the same stuff for a 2 years. Yesterday none of my standard settings are working they are not cutting through. I have also noticed a lot more auto focusing failures. What did you guys change and the last 2 days that could have caused this?

No differences noted here. Not to be a gloom and doomer, but 2 years is the expected life of the laser, maybe it’s losing power? :scream:

No. I don’t run it constantly.

And I’m not the only one who has experienced this exact same thing starting yesterday all the sudden. All signs point to an update that needs to be reverted back.

If they had made a change that made “set focus” not work, Imagine how many would be complaining about it here (including me). I have run several an even the ones flipped and thus have to be exact were not a problem.

There are. On Facebook. And a few here. Not all firmware updates affect all users.

They’re ALWAYS complaining about that on FB. :wink:

3 Likes

I mean if it’s on Facebook it must be true.

5 Likes

If it is the tube and this is the lifespan, I’ll be extremely pissed. I’ve been asking for over a year about replacement tubes being released. I’m sure as hell not shipping my machine back for them to put it in when I’m capable.

This is why I don’t post here anymore. How is that helpful at all.

It might be that my post wasn’t intended to be entirely helpful, Phil. It was intended to be funny and call attention to a potential hole in your logic.

Which is arguably helpful in some oblique way but mostly amusing.

Fact is you’re having issues and I won’t insult your intelligence (you have been around plenty long, you aren’t some chupacabra that put your lens in upside down) by suggesting the basic troubleshooting steps.

As for not posting here well here you are and it sounds like you need support to weigh in. So good luck.

And yes Facebook is a source of crazy amounts of bad info, but I assume you know that.

2 Likes

No you aren’t from what I hear.

I had my tube replaced, which you’d know if you were still reading the forum.

I’m not inclined to share my experience again given the tone of this convo. Good luck with your support ticket.

2 Likes

I am. But thanks.

According the gf it requires special tooling and thats why they aren’t going to encourage people to do it.

The alignment is apparently the part that’s not really practical to do at home. Idk

1 Like

These black marks definitely have to be a clue as to what is happening.

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re running into trouble! We have not recently provided an update or firmware update that effects or modifies Set Focus, or your Glowforge’s ability to autofocus, However, I’ve extracted the log files from your Glowforge for review, and compared it to the details you provided.

It does appear that you’re Glowforge may be experiencing a snag in properly measuring the height of the material inside of the bed. I’d like to have you perform a test print, so that we can create a good baseline for your unit. When you have a moment, could you please follow these instructions?:

1. Turn off your Glowforge, then turn it back on
  2. We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Place Proofgrade Draftboard in the bed and load the Gift of Good Measure design.
  3. Set the score and engrave steps to ‘ignore.’ Print the Gift of Good measure using the default settings. Allow the print to finish.
  4. When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture of the bed updates.
  5. Check the completed print:
    • If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut, please let us know the date and time of the print
  • If the Gift of Good Measure cuts successfully, please try another print of the design you saw the issue with, and let us know the results.
  1. If the issue still occurs, please let us know the date and time of the finished print.

Once completed, we’ll review the print and provide the next best steps. Let us know how it goes!

Hey, so I’ve had an issue since their last update. My machine requires that I put a piece of acrylic underneath whatever I’m going to cut or print. I’ve only had mine for one year and a couple months. I had some problems but nothing crazy. This one seems to have been on their end. They changes some things and had me try it again and then ut worked once without the acrylic and then went right back to needing that acrylic undsr my material again.

Same as you, I’ve really only have used two materials the entire time. one way more then other while cutting. This is a really bad time to be having issues with these machines. Especially since that update wasn’t something I did to cause my machine to stop working properly.

1 Like

If you have an issue that needs support you need to open your own topic in the forum. support generally doesn’t handle multiple user support problems in the same topic.

1 Like

Already did! I’m sharing my experience with others who may be having same problems such as OP

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: wow

1 Like

I thought you guys put out an autofocus update on 3/16/20

1 Like