Machine Stuck Focusing After Every Job

Hi there! I have had my Glowforge for a few months now and recently it seems to get stuck on focusing for an increasing extended amount of time after every job. Sometimes turning off the Glowforge and turning it back on or refreshing my browser will reboot it back to action, but lately even that will leave it stuck for over 15-20 minutes. Is there anything else that I can try? Its super frustrating and inefficient to be waiting for so long. I have cleaned it and checked the wifi connection and that doesn’t seem to make a difference.

Do you have a screen shot of the app at the time and more of a detailed timeline of when it happens? It helps to know the point in the sequence that oddities occur :relaxed:

2 Likes

I was having the same issue, turned out that I missed cleaning the mirror. There is a plate on top of the print head, if you lift that off there is a mirror that will lift out. I’d check that if you haven’t already.

2 Likes

So it is after I am done one print - take the sheet out and put in a new sheet to start the next cut. It won’t upload the new photo of what’s in there - just keeps saying focusing.

@MyDogsThinkImCrazy

I took it out and cleaned it today after your suggestion but that hasn’t seemed to resolve it. :cry:

@satchymoto

I’m sorry for the trouble with your Glowforge and that it’s getting stuck while focusing. Thank you for letting us know that you’ve already tried cleaning the unit as well as the mirror.

I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate the problem, and it seems like your unit is running into trouble during the calibration step in which the lens focuses inside the printer head (you may hear this when it’s happening - there’s an audible “ticking” sound as the lens moves up and down in the head). There are a few different reasons this error may be occurring. Could you please check a few things for me to help narrow it down? Although you’ve already cleaned the Glowforge, please double-check that you included the parts we suggest in step 1 below.

1. Check the printer head lens by following steps 1-5 from these instructions: https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033633614-Cleaning#things-that-need-wiping. If you see anything unusual such as damage to the lens or debris in the printer head, please take a photo of it and attach it to your reply

2. If you are using magnets to secure material to the crumb tray of your Glowforge, please remove or reposition them and try again. Magnets placed close to the printer head may cause trouble during calibration

3. Check the connection of the printer head to the white ribbon cable in the printer arm. Turn off your Glowforge, unplug the head, and plug it back in. Note whether the cable plugs back in securely, and whether you feel it “click” into place

Please let us know how it goes!

Cleaned all the lenses and they all look clear

Not using magnets at all

Disconnected and reconnected ribbon cable and heard it click into place.

Focused up fast for first job. Back to stuck on focusing now after clearing the tray and putting in another sheet for second job.

Thank you for working through those steps and letting us know how it went. Since the issue has continued after trying these steps, your unit’s print head might need to be replaced. I’m going to close this thread, and I’ll be in touch with you very soon via email to coordinate next steps.