Made a rolling Glowforge table/shelf-unit

That’s a good lookin’ cabinet! The price seems high, especially considering the shipping (is it going to be delivered via unicorn?) but I guess it might be worth it if the quality is good enough. If nothing else, it looks like it’s a good jumping-off point to check out the “related” items on Amazon.

edit: Oh, I see, it’s being shipped from outside the US.

4 Likes

IKEA has a decent one:

I was going to buy it for my viinyl sheets but the drawers are 23½ x 16 3/4 by 2½ deep and a lot of my vinyl sheets are 24 inches by 12 :confounded:

But now, for glowforge usage(Storage - top too small for GF footprint) - that may work !

9 Likes

Just bought one of these the other weekend! It works great for material storage. I have all the material that I’ve been hoarding in it… Which isn’t very much yet. Just one drawer full.

4 Likes

How about something like this? Lots of different styles and sizes, plus they are free.

23 Likes

That’s the kind I’ve got! :relaxed:

6 Likes

Plus, when you are through with them you can make cat scratchers!

4 Likes

My Glowforge room is SO small, I have no room for any extra ‘furniture’ type pieces. For smaller stuff, I have two, hanging file folders up…one in a small wall space and another on the back of the door to the room. They are at least big enough for papers and some cardboard/cardstock, but might be good for a few other things, as well.

21 Likes

Is that some foils you’ve got hanging on the door? :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

If you screw a 3/4" pieces of MDF to the top you can use it for both storage and the GF itself.

If you do that it’s simple enough to replace the casters with heavier duty locking ones.

You can screw from the top into the unit’s top but I prefer a more secure hold than the particle wood top will provide. Easy enough to drill up from inside (probably could do it before assembling too) and putting threaded inserts into the MDF. Use some epoxy on the insert threads to really lock the inserts into the MDF. Then some bolts & washers and you’re good to go. Under $10 at Home Depot.

6 Likes

Indeed it is! My new latest ‘thing’. That and embossing powders. Found some cheapo, flexible spice storage racks to store the powders on the side of a cabinet.

Using a two-tiered coat rack that was already on the back of the door to hang the foil tubes. Again, no extra storage space in there. I’m discovering hanging stuff works pretty well.

18 Likes

Nice collection! I’m envious.

4 Likes

Dang! That’s organized!..I’m also quite green about your foil and powders collection! :smile:

5 Likes

LOVE the creative use of space! I have some empty wall space that I might “borrow” some of your hanging material ideas

6 Likes

I had to laugh a bit. When I ordered ONE embossing powder from Amazon, they sent me 3, all shrink-wrapped together. I really don’t need 3 of that particular color…but I knew they wouldn’t want to bother with me sending two of them back, so now I have an abundant supply of ‘rose quartz’. They did the same thing with gold…but that one I will use often. Someone in their fulfillment area was not being attentive. :relaxed: How to build your supply inadvertently!

7 Likes

Thank you! Please be my guest! I don’t look forward though to the day when I begin to have to start hanging stuff from the ceiling. :wink:

4 Likes
  • And just a small aside…I used carabiner clips to hang the foil tubes up, so I can just unclip whatever I want to use at the moment.
9 Likes

I store the cut offs in this gap.

28 Likes

I like the hanging pocket idea. I could sew that up for scraps and odds and ends.

2 Likes

Just got one today, but in grey. Works real well for my needs. I was getting ready to just build one, but this was only an inch or so smaller in all dimensions, and I could assemble it in an afternoon.

2 Likes

Oooh that looks perfect! Is that the Ikea Alex drawers? Is the table top also from Ikea?