Made in america

I hear a lot of people talking about cancelling and getting a cheapo Chinese laser, and that is fine, have fun. I am holding out this time for many reasons, and one that I just remembered is that this thing is made in America. For many International users, this is a non-issue. I just wanted to thank Dan for creating manufacturing jobs here.

cheapo chinese lasers are great learning tools, and can still make some cool stuff til your real laser comes.

here here

While I am waiting for the Glowforge, I’ll keep busy with learning more about 3D printing. I have a Lulzbot Taz 5, and need to install the Flexydually head so I can dual extrude!

I just got a Taz 5!! Haven’t had time yet to finish all the initial set-up, but I can’t wait to start trying stuff out.

Sweet! I love my Taz. I found that using glue sticks really helps to get prints to stick. Also, download their Cura settings from the website, they are tuned for the Taz, and takes a lot of guesswork out.
I just got some dampeners for the motors and installed them this morning. I heard they really make a difference on how much noise the thing makes.

Wow, thanks for the glue stick and dampener tips! Definitely using all the settings they give out. Have you had a lot of experience using PLA with yours? I have friends who have one and they’ve had a few minor problems with the PLA getting gummy at the hot end.

I tend to use ABS for the most part, but have done a couple things in PLA. I know if you are getting bad results, it is a good idea to clean the nozzle. I ordered these things and they work great, but maybe a bit brittle https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0154MHQVE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It seems that getting really great prints is difficult, but you can refer to some of these guides that will help you printing issues https://all3dp.com/common-3d-printing-problems-3d-printer-troubleshooting-guide/

Yeah, I’m planning on using ABS as well (mostly because it’s what I already have on-hand lol). They also thought some of the problems with the PLA could have been because they weren’t using very good quality filament. Before I really start using my Taz I’m definitely going to get some maintenance tools, maybe even a spare extruder kit just in case…

anyway, totally didn’t mean to derail the topic!! The glowforge being manufactured in America is a really awesome selling point. :grin:

Lulzbot is made in america too :smiley:

That’s very true!! That and their customer support was one of the big deciding factors for me when trying to pick which printer to get.

Usually a sign of insufficient airflow / cooling in the transition zone. My Ultimaker 2 had that problem until I replaced a failing fan in the hot end. I print almost exclusively with PLA and find that a bit of gluestick and a bed temp of 60ºC eliminates any adhesion problems.

Thanks for the tip!! I have way more knowledge of the modeling/file setup side of 3D printing than I do of the troubleshooting/mechanics side, so every little bit of info is always appreciated :grinning:

Anytime! I don’t claim to have extensive knowledge on that side either, but fixing this problem and a few others have taught me a few tricks. :wink:

Lulzbot is just up the road from my old makerspace and donated a rack of early gen printers. The makerspace set up a “class” where we tore them down, cleaned, calibrated, and reassembled them. Guess you could call that the Tom Sawyer approach.

Oh mannnn that must have been awesome :heart_eyes: I was really tempted to buy a DIY 3D printer kit, but for the most part it didn’t sound like the quality of prints they could produce was worth it. Plus I knew it would sit half-finished for waaay too long haha.

Look into PEI if you have a heated bed. It makes gluesticks a thing of the past.

The experience was pretty good, but the biggest thing that I took away is that the Taz had (IMHO) a severe design flaw – they use a 4 point rectangular bed suspension, making a “true” leveling stupendously hard to achieve, which is why they added the auto-level function that mathematically corrects for this. The UM2 uses a 3-point suspension and is easy to level, even after taking it completely apart.

BTW – My assertion could well ignite a flame war. Let me just say that I love all 3D printers equally. I just love my UM2 a little bit better.

Wow, that’s a really neat point- I will fully admit different bed suspension methods is something I never even looked at when debating between printers! Haha and no worries about 3D printer war participaton on my end- I try to stick to the belief that each printer brings its own pros and cons, and it’s up to the end user to decide which meets their needs best :blush:

Never crossed my mind that it would be you – I seen others come out of the woodwork when I’ve said this elsewhere!

I love my Taz 5 (upgraded from a 4) but I will still agree the 4 point bed leveling is a beast of a fight to correct when it gets off kilter.