Made on a Glowforge: Inlay compass roses

I drew the compass in Inkscape and imported it to the Glowforge app. I cut out 4 of them in 4 different colors of plywood. Those were Walnut, Cherry, Maple and Basswood. I then mixed and matched them and glued the pieces on a piece of Draft board. I took three of the 4 completed compasses and made these 3 boxes. They are made of Red Oak, Walnut and Bloodwood. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

65 Likes

These are great, it’s hard for me to choose which one i like best.

1 Like

I think they are outstanding! How did you deal with kerf on the inner cut pieces?

1 Like

Lovely inlay!

Very nice group of boxes. I love the middle one.

Yep, the middle one. They are all nice though.

1 Like

I am voting far left!! Great work!!!

I just noticed that the title of the post is exactly the same as the category name. Thought I was seeing double.

Congratulations @allind256, they are all beautiful. A lot attention to detail.

Wonderful boxes

nice job! I have to learn how to do inlays!

I had two things that I solved with one solution. The kerfs made for less than ideal gaps so I just made sure the pieces were evenly spaced before the glue dried. Second, the proof grade plywood was of various thicknesses and being plywood, I couldn’t sand them flush. I ended up putting a thin layer of epoxy to fill the gaps and level the surface. Even when looking closely, the gaps in he kerfs are barely noticeable.

2 Likes

This is more of a puzzle than an inlay.

7 Likes

They all look great
I like the two darker ones the best

1 Like

Sorry, I’m more creative with my crafts than my words!

1 Like

Thanks for all of the positive comments.

1 Like

These are gorgeous!

Absolutely gorgeous!

Well done! Beautiful!

Gorgeous! I like the middle on best, as well.

1 Like