Make a Name Pendant in Inkscape

(Yes, thank you Discourse, I know the title is similar to the titles for AI and AD.) :smile:

1. Open the software and select your font, type out the name:

1. Select everything, click on Path > Object to Path.

1. Select everything, right click and Ungroup. (Might also require Path> Break apart.) Resize or shift the letters over so that they overlap at some point.

2. Select everything, click on Path > Union.

1. If you want to add a small hanging ring, draw up a couple of Filled circles, center the smaller one over the larger one, and subtract out the center in order to create a ring shaped Compound Path. Select both and click Path> Difference.

1. Combine the ring with the name shape using the Path > Union tool again:

1. Set the Fill to Null and set a Stroke Color.

That’s about it! :slightly_smiling_face:

47 Likes

That’s great, now all I have to do is change my name to Jules!

20 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Thank You Jules. I sure like your instructional segments on Inkscape. Now you need to make the push to You Tube.

2 Likes

Just spell it with a J, and you’ll be off to a good start :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t do video…my language is generally suitable for offshore environments, not classrooms. :smile:

10 Likes

Well anyway Thank You.

1 Like

That’s what beeps are for. (I assume you speak like a Sailor) :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just get tired of editing them out. :smile:

2 Likes

Pictures are worth a 1000 words thank you for this.

1 Like

I would scootch to eyelet down to where the bottom of the inner circle is on the top line of the J or even a hair under to maximize the amount of material connecting it - less likely to break in some materials.

1 Like

Winner of the Internet for the day.

3 Likes

I much prefer step by step pictures and written explanation to vids, all that rewind and replay gets me down, plus trying to understand what they said, even when they have the same accent as me. Not to mention trying to hit the pause when it keeps disappearing.

Great simple tutorial

6 Likes

You are so very kind to whip out these tutorials!

1 Like

Nicely done! Really nice of you to put this together!

Great and to the point. Now to save this and refer others asking about this or cake toppers or script cut outs or engravings.

1 Like

But what to do about those pesky dots over the letter i?

Turn them into hearts?

12 Likes

Wow, you are way ahead of me. So you can crop out the dot and replace it?

Once you convert the text to curves, you can use node edit to make modifications like that. :slight_smile: