Maker Faire Detroit

discussions meander. funny how that works, but i’ll leave you to your detroit discussions.

It just looks like something that could turn into a debate, so I wanted to throw that out there before things started heating up. Otherwise, no problem.

1 Like

I don’t know how well those estimators work…I am basing mine in that I
reserved mine during reveal, I am in Kansas City (midday through USA based
on deliveries bring by region)… And Elon estimated several months back
that the initial ordering would be made by June 2018… So thinking mine
should be by June even if they run behind schedule… Plus my son is a
Model S owner (Same household…, but wasn’t an owner at time I reserved)
so that might move me up in queue for this area… He might try changing
this over in his name… He is listed on the reservation too. :slight_smile:

Sharon

Yeah, I got my reservation in a few months after reveal, so that estimator is just something I check on a regular basis. It’s updated as Elon releases new information on the Model 3. My estimated delivery date has pretty much stayed in Q4 2018. A later delivery gives more opportunity for them to fix any initial issues and for me to save up more money, so it’s not all that bad.

1 Like

For anyone interested in going to Maker Faire Detroit and haven’t bought tickets yet, you can get 25% off one-day passes with promo code MK0717.

As a reminder, if you have a membership to THF, you can get 50% off all passes instead.

2 Likes

The meetup will be at 11am this Saturday, the 29th! We will meet at the classic McDonald’s golden arch sign. If you do not know where that is, head for the presidential cars at number 11 indicated on this map and you can’t miss it.

If anything changes, I will post details here.

Thanks! I hope to see you there! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll be there.

Looking forward to meeting you in person :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not going to be able to make this. Have fun.

+1

Sharon

So how was Detroit Makerfaire? I just got back from a teaching workshop at the Henry Ford museum…what an amazing place!

I was sad we were one week away from being there for it…possibly planning a trip for next summer to it.

2 Likes

you’re the second librarian in the past month to mention how great the henry ford museum is. i really need to check it out now, i guess.

1 Like

Seriously, it was mind-blowing. I was there for an NEH workshop that took us through the entire Industrial Revolution: home-based production, the coming of the railroads, Edison, and then finally Ford’s innovations with the assembly line so the last day we went to see the Ford Rogue plant and new F150s being built.

Each morning we had guest speakers and then we’d head out with them and the museum curators to see the locations that supported what we’d just learned about. They do a TV show called Innovation Nation that highlights some of the great stuff they have.

Greenfield Village is the coolest…I got to make a brass candlestick on a lathe that was a century old!

Well worth a trip. I told someone it felt like Disneyland but for makers. :blush:

6 Likes

The Henry Ford is definitely a cool place to check out! If your first time at THF is during Maker Faire, my recommendation is to spend your time with the MF stuff while it’s there and then come back later for the museum stuff. THF also has seasonal exhibits you may want to check out while they’re there.

I’ll also mention you can get in for free on the 19th this month.

5 Likes

HFM and Greenfield Village were my favorite field trips while growing up downriver. :+1::+1:

5 Likes

The Detroit Maker Faire was get. Got to spend about 40 minutes @zavaboy as we were both dreaming about the day when we will finally get our :glowforge:

I’m glad you enjoyed your time at The Henry Ford museum, Green Field Village and the Rouge Factor Tour. These are all truly amazing items on their own and almost overwhelming as they are all together. When you put a Maker Faire on top of all of this it truly is overwhelming.

I hope to see you and other :glowforge: owners at next year Detroit Maker Faire.

3 Likes

Yes! I was there for a week and I still see things online and say, “how did I miss that!!!” But it’s a lovely place…the museum is amazing, the village is fun, and that factory is a sight to see. Love to see how many people are involved in the process of building those trucks!

Have you been to the Piquette avenue plant? That’s a really cool place too…love that it still has that original feel, not all prettied up and restored. And some beautiful cars to see!

Very excited to come back for Maker Faire and introduce my family to all of the fun…hopefully next summer! :blush:

1 Like

My brother totally wants to get into this…we watched it at the Bay Area Faire!

I’ve not been to the Piquette avenue plant.

Like so many places I’ve lived, it’s easy to get caught up in day to day life and miss so many interesting thing right in the area where we live. I’ll have to make plans to go see the Piquette avenue plant.

So glad you enjoyed your time in Dearborn. If you are able to visit in the future, please let me know.

2 Likes

It’s a neat place…you’ll have perfectly preserved cars sitting next to a barn find in really rough shape…but I think that’s part of the charm! :smiley: Our tour guide worked for Ford for 30 years and was really great about pointing out the significance of each car. And we got to ride the elevator Studebaker installed to move the cars from floor to floor, which was fun!

Will definitely let you know if we end up coming out…I really hope we can do Makerfaire next summer.

2 Likes