Maker Faire filter

Does anyone happen to know the make and model of the external filters used by glowforge at the maker faire? I have some friends in town this weekend who have a glowforge at work that is just a paper weight waiting on the filter. They’d consider purchasing one instead of waiting if they knew what to get.

@marmak3261, @takitus or @karaelena would know. One of them mentioned the manufacturer back from their BAMF use back in June (?).

1 Like

I think it was a Purex. If you search the forums for that there are several posts. A quick perusal didn’t turn up the model number for me though some mentioned it was at least one of the models with a digital readout with filter status and CFM.

2 Likes

I’m guessing, but my guess would be Purex 400i. It has 450 cubic meters per hour of airflow (I think that’s approx. 260 CFM).

2 Likes

I think it runs about $2900+a lot of shipping.

1 Like

@laird Used one in Orlando. $129.95 from Amazon.

1 Like

Purex. I have one for mine at work. They do great, even with acrylic. But very expensive.

1 Like

To be clear, the cheap grow filter certainly helps, but I wouldn’t want to use it in a sealed room - there was some smell, which was fine in a large warehouse full of Makers - but in a bedroom, it would not be enough. I’m still waiting for Glowforge’s filter for that. Until then, I’m venting outside.

2 Likes

Honestly, I think venting outside is the best permanent solution. Unfortunately, this glowforge is in a basement and the company is enormous which means construction requests take ages and are very regulated. I imagine the purex would be a better indoor solution than the glowforge filter and I think it would be my second choice. Conjecture of course because we haven’t seen the glowforge filter.

A slightly cheaper version like the purex is this one. I don’t have my GF yet to test it on, but I don’t think it’ll be substantially worse than the purex version:

https://www.amazon.com/iPower-Inline-Carbon-included-ventilation/dp/B00D7M6692/