Maker Faire NYC (Oct 1st & 2nd)

We do look really different, it’s easy to tell us apart I promise

13 Likes

Question for those of you who have been to Maker Faire NYC before. What is the parking situation like? My wife and I will be there on Sunday the 2nd.

1 Like

If you can manage to get a peek under the honeycomb and the tray, let us know if you see any components that would get in the way of cutting away a big ol’ hole in the base for more z-depth!

2 Likes

I’ll see if I can sneak a few shots in without the Glowfolk noticing. :wink:

1 Like

Cool! But mum’s the word–we don’t want Dan to find out what we’re up to!

1 Like

In San Mateo I got some video of Dan pulling out the honeycomb. There is a big aluminum plate, but nothing else (though there could be things under the plate, I didn’t see all sides of it to identify any wires going under. It wouldn’t make sense to have any wires there though)

1 Like

Last year they had a ton of parking a bit off site but with shuttles. If you’re getting there early so you’re at it before it opens both parking & the shuttles are easy. Plenty of signage.

When you leave if you wait until closing you’re going to be a long line for the buses because tons of people try to squeeze out every bit of time they can get. I skipped the lines and walked back - maybe 20 minutes(?) and beat the people I would have been behind in the line for the buses. Either decide to walk or bail a half hour or more early. I had to wait because I was exhibiting and couldn’t leave early. This year I’ll be leaving early (there’s never enough time so whether I spend an extra hour or not I’ll still wish I had more time so I’m just gonna accept that and head for the buses so my wife isn’t forced to walk back with me. :slightly_smiling_face: )

Traffic out of the parking lot and onto the highway was fine.

3 Likes

If there’s any pictures you want that aren’t from the outside, just ask for me and I can probably help you get them (ask @jacobturner). I’d appreciate it if you didn’t try to play industrial spy though - we have our hands full there enough as is. :confused:

7 Likes

LOL Gotta watch out for those industrial spys who broadcast their intentions on your very own forum!

3 Likes

No worries, I was going to sneakily ask before taking any pictures. :wink:

2 Likes

The main point was, be sure you specifically ask Dan himself. The staff have pretty strict and simple marching orders to ensure there isn’t any confusion about what to allow and what not to allow. So almost anything you ask for them to do will get a “Nope”

Dan on the other hand, made those orders, and knows how much flex is permitted.

I had asked a few of the staff about removing the honeycomb, and had answers of “I don’t think so,” “pretty sure not” and finally “no” But when I had Dan and was near the non-operational unit, I ventured asking again. Happy that I did so.

8 Likes

Yes, of course. Trying to make humor of being an inept industrial spy apparently doesn’t play well with Dan.

2 Likes

Aw, you all are great. The problem is that while I know you, the people in the booth might not. We bring new hires to Maker Faire so they have a chance to meet you all. (Seriously, that’s the reason - so they can actually meet customers and see why we do what we do!)

But when you get a junior engineer who just started a new job surrounded by 100 eager customers and someone starts wandering into the back and pointing cameras… well, we’ve had a few people need to leave the booth for me-time because the stress level can get high.

So I apologize for being tightly wound about it. You can hit me with anything, but give the booth staff a high five and a smile. They’re excited to meet everyone. And also a little terrified. :wink:

13 Likes

While I’m sad you won’t be there on Sunday, I am excited to meet all the other Glowfolk!

Who should I ask for if I want to take some pictures and not have @bailey or someone else tackle me?

3 Likes

Pictures are totally fine! It’s just special requests (like pulling the tray) that need special permission. @bailey is the only one who can do that, but I’m going to ask her to be conservative about what she allows, so your best bet is to find me saturday (or just take pictures from the outside).

6 Likes

It looks like they won’t have parking at Citi Field this year.There is a music festival the same weekend at Citi Field.

Anyone from the area have recommendations for parking somewhere along the 7 subway line?

1 Like

Bay Area also made a huge deal of the no parking at event situation, but did not make it apparent in the same location that there was massive parking available within a few blocks, and shuttles from the parking to the gate.

I imagine the same will be true here. So look around the Maker Faire pages for mention of shuttles, or just google earth satellite view and find some local large parking lots (hotels or malls I suppose)

2 Likes

That sucks big time. It was wickedly convenient parking there last year. Damn.

3 Likes

Woot, I’m in Zone 3 in the Maker Pavillion, the same place as Glowforge :slight_smile:
Tell me you’re a glowforger and claim your free laser shark.

22 Likes

Glowforge is going to have to work pretty hard to compete with you and your designs! As soon as I get that crucial shipping email, I will purchase a few kits.

That makes me think of something: so, I wonder when the Glowforge catalogue will go live. I suppose as soon as the shipping emails start going out. Otherwise, I definitely will want to stock up in some tried and tested designs with @m_raynsford or some other sites to be ready for the marathon break in session!

EDIT: By the way, do you sell just designs or the precut kits only?

5 Likes