Maker TV and Youtube- I miss Norm

For sure! I have about as much drama as @rpegg :grinning:
The other guy has a huge personality but no drama!

6 Likes

Sounds like an interesting formula, could do well! :+1:

3 Likes

Definitely The Red Green Show. Talk about the godfather of makers!

If the women donā€™t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. - Red Green

7 Likes

With a good heart, any (smart) woman would settle for that.

7 Likes

AvE is one of my favorites. He does a lot of machining and electronics, two things I tend not to get into. Itā€™s his personality and style I really enjoy. My wife hates me watching him because he is vulgar. Also his tool tear downs and reviews are awesome.

Also a fellow canuckistanian!

11 Likes

Steve Ramsey by far, although i watch a lot. His Wood Working for Mere Mortals show is what first got me into woodworking.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve followed a number of his builds in my own shop. I REALLY like that he wants to keep things accessible for the average woodworker. I love watching Norm and some of the other big names, but they all have ā€œbig shopsā€ and tools that I canā€™t even begin to think of owning, either because of the price, or just the space. Iā€™m limited to a single car garage at the moment.

3 Likes

Years ago my little brother (from the big brothers/big sisters program) were watching ole Norm. I pointed out that the clamps he had on one wall was HUGE money and normal people donā€™t have near that many clamps. so it is easy for him to do all sorts of stuff, he doesnā€™t have a ā€œnormalā€ shop. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

exactly

2 Likes

One of the things I like about woodworking is there are usually about 5 ways to accomplish somethingā€¦ all from the the easy expensive way, to the cheap and time consuming way. Anyone watch Rough Cut with Tommy Mac on PBS? I just found it yesterday and set it up to record but it isnā€™t on until Saturday.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t seen any of the woodworking episodes but I have watched several of the series where heā€™s building his new shop.

1 Like

i"m putting vinyl plank flooring in my house. about 1100 square feet total. I have 1 of the 9 ā€œdoorwaysā€ remaining. Iā€™m at the point now where I have two 45 degree angled walls at the ends of the plank run. picture putting flooring parallel to the base of an isosceles triangle. I am making a pull bar this weekend to be able to pull against the end cut off at 45 degrees. manufacturer said to put in little triangles. I would burn up I donā€™t know how many planks doing that, not to mention Iā€™d have a steady row of joints NOT the minimum 8 inches apart. so I fire up the welder and make a pull bar.

This of course will make the wifey happy. Welder getting used. Flooring not wasted, and job closer to completion. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m about halfway through. The hardest part of the job is completed. I close my eyes and I see flooring. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I love the downhill side of a good job, when you close in on the finishing touches.

2 Likes

Just got that feeling of getting to the downhill side of a job (that kind of job) for the first time yesterday! Bought my dadā€™s house after he passed away. It is a little dilapidated, but will be great after a whole house remodel. Spent today preparing for trim and the like.

Man, porcelain tile is tough to work with, at least for a beginner. Also, I love YouTube.

15 Likes

Love it once the trim finally goes on. What did you use under the floor tile for an impermeable membrane? Love the colors.

2 Likes

What you see is RedGard.

Under that is cement board. 1/4" on floor and 1/2" for the walls.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DUROCK-Next-Gen-1-4-in-x-3-ft-x-5-ft-Cement-Board-170219/202817897

Stripped the room to the studs and got rid of the drywall walls and particle board under the old tile.

I got this tile in 8", 12", and 18" varieties because they didnā€™t have enough of the smaller ones when I was shopping. Ended up making things much more interesting than I would have likely done otherwise. Cutting 18" porcelain tile sucks, though. Especially an outlet hole in the middle. I got a $50 course in how to do it if you add up all the tile that I cracked learning. And got the coordinating accent strip. We were initially worried that the room would end up to beige.

A little more detailā€¦ Moved the door wall back a couple of feet, which required moving the toilet to the other side of the room, which required elevating the toilet to get the plumbing angled enough to evacuate waste properly. This is part of the long-term plan to open up one end of the house to be living/dining/flows-into-kitchen. Replaced the bathtub with this shower unit and put in the shower head in this ā€œrainā€ configuration where it drops out of the ceiling rather than sticking out of the wall. Replaced the window, which was originally opened to a non-standard size. Oil-rubbed bronze fixtures throughout, although Iā€™m noticing I didnā€™t put the shower drain in yet. Recessed cabinet behind the mirror. Pedistal came from a place called Earthwise Arcitectural Salvage and the sink itself is from a St Vincent De Paul Thrift Store.

I could go on, but I wish I could recommend specific YouTube videos to kinda keep things on topic, but maybe discussion on YouTube use strategy could be another way.

Iā€™ve never done any of this kind of work in my entire life. Had a buddy help get the walls moved around and get the sewage pointed in the right direction and then was on my own after that. So, each step of the way Iā€™d spend ages watching video after video of how to install cement board and then, again, video after video of how to apply thin set mortar and so on. I didnā€™t feel like any single video gave me enough information or confidence to move forward and I didnā€™t see any people for these very specific tasks that made me want to watch other videos that they put out. I should note, I used information from the product packaging and conversations with store employees to help me decide which videos to pay more attention to. I suppose that is the strategy I have to offer. When following one of these people on YouTube, try to get enough information from other sources to be able to trust what they are telling you better. I guess if you are following the same guy a bunch, you might be able to give him your trust without all that. But for me, I needed to learn specific things and they werenā€™t taught on The Edgy Veg, a YouTube channel that I have given some trust.

Iā€™m not sure how to become more efficient as far as how many videos I watch before committing to doing whatever they are showing me, but maybe brute effort ainā€™t so bad for a beginnerā€™s method. I learned a lot. Wonā€™t have to learn it all again.

9 Likes

To quote the aforementioned Furniture Guys, ā€œNorm has electric pantsā€.

3 Likes

Very nice! Beautiful tile.
The floor is great! Isnā€™t it poetic how the problem of not enough evolved into a better plan? My favorite part!
Your floor layout is well done, the border symmetry is pro - where cuts fall determines the asthetic quality, if you end up with a small slice of tiles running the length of a wall, there was a better layout that eluded you. Very impressive for a first attempt! Clearly you did your research.
It doesnā€™t get much tougher than to do a tile job properly, so you neednā€™t flinch at tackling practically anything else.

Kudos for the GFI upgrade. That expensive outlet bequeathes protection for any outlet downstream of it.

Iā€™ve got a lot of talents in life, making money has never been one of them :no_mouth:. As a result I was never in a position to pay anyone to do anything for me.
Thatā€™s OK, I have always enjoyed learning new skills. Jumping into a project with both feet, otherwise known as ā€˜trial by fireā€™ is how I learned most things, and completing a project is a great boost to self confidence, besides adding a skill set - the aquired tools are a cherry on top! :sunglasses:
Nice work my friend, there will be a pay off every time you walk in there. :+1:

2 Likes

Kudos to you on the project.

I chickened out doing the bathroom for my wife (tile work) for her Motherā€™s Day gift, but did all the demo, patching and fixture replacement. Also put the cement backer board throughout the bathroom and insulated the tub.

Good friend was hired to do the tile work.

Here is some of his tricks:

13 Likes

Pro job trimming the window! Fine job.

Tearing out the builder grade 4" tiles of our shower, I found wet insulation behind the green board. I attributed it to the differential in expansion between the tile and grout (one wall is exterior), and I have the shower enclosed to the ceiling for a steam setup.
Redid the bathroom in 12" marble tile, 1/16 gap. With the thermal cycle experienced in there, I decided to ā€˜groutā€™ with white silicone for elasticity. 8 years ago and still water tight. :sunglasses:

6 Likes