MakForge Field Trip Report

“glowfriends”… that’s perfect!

8 Likes

If that wasn’t a squeee :squee:day, I don’t know what is !! So awesome !! ( and food looked delicious as well!):stew:

6 Likes

How was the craft foam to cut?

When I was first looking into laser cutters I was told this was a no-no but seeing it work makes me happy!

1 Like

You were told wrong :slight_smile:

Some foams are bad (PVC based) but there are others that are fine. It’s really useful for cutting custom shaped inserts for stuff you make and box up.

1 Like

I’ve heard the same thing but it was more to do with the foams propensity to catch fire. I wondered if that was overblown, and sounds like it is.

1 Like

How fun! Makes me miss the days of belonging to computer user groups when I was a kid. Good times…

2 Likes

I’ve never had it do that. It makes for great tool box liners with custom cutouts for the tools. Easy to see when & which one is missing.

Pretty sure @smcgathyfay uses it a fair amount too.

3 Likes

Glowparty! that is great you guys got to get together!

4 Likes

I’m your only friend. I’m not your only friend, but I’m a little glowing friend, but really I’m not actually your friend, but I am.

9 Likes

I’m mostly interested in foamcore. I use that stuff all the time for prototyping and actually have a full set of gaming terrain made out of it!

34 Likes

that’s pretty cool

5 Likes

Push pins, an exacto knife, a ruler and a lot of time was required :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

It all depends on the type. I hadn’t put it into my Glowforge yet, but after @karaelena used some and then my brother pointing out how it is used to make fly bodies for fly fishing, I did a little more reading and got some to use, but @cynd11’s cornucopia of materials contained it so I thought, “why not!”

I does cut very easily and the starts and stops tend to get bigger holes on the bottom. I’ll try to mask it next time to see if that helps keep the kerf a little smaller and manageable.

11 Likes

That is so awesome!!

2 Likes

What a great experience. I’m jealous!!!

4 Likes

@cynd11 it was so fun to hear how your meet-up went. I love the Cats.
Huge thanks to @marmak3261 for being so generous to all of us glowfolk.
:glowforge: Team definitely chose wisely.
@Dunfee I LOVE the Foam Core Terrain! :grin:

8 Likes

Perhaps I was overthinking it when I was initially cutting it with a 40W CO2 laser, but I thought I saw a straighter edge when I did 3 passes when cutting out shapes in foamcore. My thinking was to first cut through the top claycoated paper, then through the styrofoam, and then through the back claycoated paper. I found if you try and cut through it all at once the foam in the middle gets melted/vaporized further back than the kerf created in the paper cladding. By reducing the power when cutting through the foam layer it seemed like I could effective reduce the kerf thickness in that layer.

This probably is as clear as mud, so I’ll try and come back and edit this with a picture!

4 Likes

I think you might be confusing foamcore with craft foam. What we actually cut on the MakForge was craft foam, which has no paper backing. But I and I’m sure others are also interested in foamcore cutting, so we’d love to see a picture!

4 Likes

So I was talking about foam core. Craft foam…that’s like/same as the EVA foam, right?

4 Likes

This:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001946SH0/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Comes in different colors and thicknesses (and from other places than Amazon :slight_smile:).

4 Likes