Makin' some apple cubes

Well, fall has arrived and the apples are coming along nicely. There’s still about a month left to go, and the apples are just starting to press up against the box interior. We made 3 different size boxes, with interiors of 2.25, 2.5 and 2.75". I think I should have made them all .5" smaller on the inside. We’ll see how much bigger the apples get.

I noticed one has what looks like bugs squished between the apple and the box; not sure what they are.

20 Likes

Excited to see how they look when removed. One more month!

Looks like caterpillar poop to me! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Is it shellac?

1 Like

The black spots? :confused:

Mehbee…:smiling_imp:

Ahhhh, now I remember. :laughing:

2 Likes

Today was pickin’ day. Overall it was a good first attempt, but the boxes were probably on the large side. The best one was 2.25" cubed interior; next year we’ll try again and drop it down to 2" to see if we can get a little more cubic fill. Text embossed nicely. One of the boxes cracked, and it was a real pain to remove the closure pins due to the pressure!

35 Likes

Wonderful results! The embossing is great!

1 Like

So fun. Looks like 2" might be the trick next year!

Excellent experiment!

I’m sure next year will be better based on this year.

Fantastic! (And I didn’t realize you had embossing in there.) :smile:

1 Like

What a cool project this was! And an exercise in patience. :laughing:

1 Like

Not just embossing, but NASA Manned Space Flight’s rule number 1 :rocket:

3 Likes

I’m cheering the apple on for cracking that acrylic housing. That’s impressive! :laughing:

4 Likes

Those came out awesome. I made one to try on my neighbors tree, but the box seemed way to big and never got around to making a smaller one…

What kind of apples are those?

Because if you happen to use McIntosh apples you might end up with something like this:

:laughing:

16 Likes

Years ago, i saw an old picture of a farmer who had grown pumpkins in a mold that looked like a human head, with pretty great results. I recently saw an article about a guy in california who is revisiting the idea with Frankenstein-shaped ones, and they turned out fantastic.

2 Likes

Next year, square Halloween apples! Love the embossing… I’ve never seen that before.

where can i find the SVG file?? I don’t have fusion