Making a light fixture with acrylic circles

I’m using Glowforge to print out different size circles that hook together using slots. They will forum a “shade” over a hanging light bulb to make a light fixture for my foyer. But I can’t get the circles to be sturdy. They need to not move. I don’t know if both the hooked-into-circle and the hooking-circle should both have intersecting slots. I have made the slots the width the acrylic and smaller. Any suggestions?

Yes, your best bet is if both pieces are slotted - which is how the Acrylic Barrel Lamp in the Glowforge catalog is designed. It is very stable.

Also the tighter your kerf the steadier it’ll be. Putting tiny circles in the corners of your cuts will take the pressure off the corners.

1 Like

I’m going to move this over to Everything Else where the community can continue to make suggestions. Posting in Problems and Support opens a support ticket, and this isn’t something that requires one. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I saw a neat joint you might like, it is a slot with two bump ins, and the second piece has a hole/divot to fit. If you had two bump-ins and divots, it would be a nice pressure lock. I saw it from Slot Together Mechanisms – Rob Ives, the sight has a video on how to make the joint too.

1 Like

Slight hijack but does moving one stop or auto-close the ticket? Or do they need to come back to P&S, not find the post and then close the ticket?

They still have to manually close the ticket, but it at least saves them the time of having to respond, so they can move on to the next one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.