Making Christmas ornaments

I’m also curious what counts as IP infringement. If you redraw something and change it a little bit, does that still count? Or does it only count if you directly copy it and make no changes. Hmm…

It depends on the IP, I think. If you draw a shape that looks like Mickey Mouse’s head outline, Disney will be giving you the eye. But if you draw a stylized version of another character (and don’t use their name), they may not blink. But you can’t just change a tiny thing… if you draw something that is clearly meant to be someone else’s IP, you’re at risk. You might win a legal battle in the fine details, but it’s going to cost you a lot of time and money to do so.

If you’re caught.

Anyway, your stuff is cool. I’m not trying to convince you of anything. Just letting you know that shops do get shut down so you can make your own decisions.

2 Likes

Personally it is a steep price to pay if sued. Remember limewire and the other illegal music downloading services? One song was judged against the infringer for $1500 . Multiply that by all the songs her child downloaded and the judgement was enormous.

Definitions (FAQ) | U.S. Copyright Office

www.copyright.gov › help › faq › faq-definitions
](https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-definitions.html)

As a general matter, copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner.

[

Derivative Works - US Copyright Office

www.copyright.gov › circs › circ14
](https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.pdf)

A derivative work is a work based on or derived from one or more already exist- ing works . Common derivative works include translations, musical arrange- ments, motion picture versions of literary material or plays, art reproductions, abridgments, and condensations of preexisting works .

1 Like

love these!
I’m just learning Illustrator - prototype of one of my first attempts:

This is a personal gift, so not so worried about copyright, but a friend of mine was told to drop Elle and Vogue magazine logo items of her etsy shop. She wasn’t shut down, just warned.

Yeah, it seems etsy gives you warnings to remove items before you get shut down or straight up sued.

Thanks for the help. It’s something I think about all the time.