Making masks and face shields for healthcare workers

Like if one family member gets sick, the other folks can don one?..You betcha! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My thought exactly. Thanks!

1 Like

Jules…looked on Amazon but not sure which ones you bought…how thick are they?

I got this pack, which has 50 sheets…way more than I’ll need personally, but if this area gets to the desperate state that New York is in, I plan to make a bunch for the local healthcare workers. (Don’t expect it to…Houston is a very spaced city…everyone drives, very few people take public transportation except inside the city limits, and not at all now that everything downtown is locked down.)

They have smaller packages for less money, and even the thin 4 mil will work. Just get something that is clear and 12" x 12".

2 Likes

Perfect…thank you.

1 Like

Thank you! I ordered that and hats to make and donate!

1 Like

Awesome! What area are you located in?

1 Like

Roughly 3mm. The thicker acrylic was more brittle. But that may have been specific to the acrylic I had, most of which was donated.

1 Like

This is a great idea, but maybe paired with some sort of clip like @eflyguy mentioned (although I think the gaps on his are a problem). You want to be able to wash/sterilize the cap.

1 Like

I’m in Kokomo, IN - almost an hr north of Indianapolis. You?

I’m also sewing some masks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Houston area. :slightly_smiling_face:

He said he used full speed and 25 for power. The DXF he he converted to SVG is in the links as well, I overlooked it at first. just make sure the hole pattern for cutting out the acetate is the same as the peg pattern in the 3D printed head band. one of the most comfortable face shields I’ve ever worn.

2 Likes

Excellent point… you can easily pop the two staples out, wash it, and restaple. The one showing there has about four staple runs on it, none of them tore the mylar when the staples were removed. It’s pretty tough, even at 4 mil thickness. Or just stick it under a UV light to sterilize.

I feel good, I just managed to convince hubs to carry the prototype down to the warehouse to see if the guys there want one made up for them. They have been grumbling about feeling unprotected lately, despite the distance warnings we’ve got posted all over the place in two languages. (Like user manuals, nobody bothers to read them. They just hop right on in through the loading docks.) :roll_eyes:

Anyway, even if one of the drivers coughs directly in their faces, this would stop it cold. Even if it looks a little dorky. Hopefully they’ll go for it.

4 Likes

Good tip…do you know how long under the UV it takes to sterilize something?

You can buy the wands and they generally come with instructions, depending on how strong they are. Usually it’s under a minute for non-porous surfaces like the mylar, but you’d need to read the instructions when you get the wand.

I’d feel perfectly comfortable just rinsing the mylar off, then washing my hands. (I might not even bother to sterilize it, rinsing it is going to knock the virus off of the mylar. But then I’d wash my hands after handling it. The problem is usually handling something that might have the virus on it and then not cleaning it off your hands before you rub your eyes or nose. I’m guilty of rubbing my eyes a lot during allergy season.)

Or you can rinse it and stick it outside in the sun. That might take longer to kill the virus, but sunlight is a great disinfectant.

Can also rinse the mylar then hit it with a spritz of alcohol and water, or vinegar and water, or thieves oil diluted, or ionic silver, or any one of a dozen washing methods. Even soap will wash the virus out of harms way. (As long as you remember to wash your hands.) :slightly_smiling_face:

Got another suggestion for everyone…my husband came up with this, and he uses it everywhere.

Keep a thin plastic bag in your pocket. (Produce bags are great for that, or sandwich bags. You could even use a large square of plastic wrap.)

If you have to go out into public to open doors or pump gas or press elevator buttons, slip the bag over your hand before you grab the gas nozzle or the store handle. Pump the gas, then toss the bag. It protects you from picking up whatever the last 50 people deposited on the nozzle or door handle, and it’s easier to get on your hand than a glove. It’s a great way to recycle your produce bags too. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks. Last night I just filled two small spray bottles with bleach water to use when I bring new groceries inside. Do you think that would sterilize / disinfect the sheilds sufficiently or would the bleach do something weird to the mylar?

Haven’t watched this yet, but it looks like a good primer.

1 Like

Yeah diluted bleach works as a great disinfectant too. (Don’t think it will damage mylar…I could check it but hubs ran off with the prototype.) :smile:

Kottke covered some follow-up on that video: