Making Weeding Acrylic Easier

I wanted to share a product that I have been using lately that makes weeding engraved acrylic projects really easy. Rapid Remover by RapidTac is designed for removing vinyl graphic residue. I tried on some laser engraved pieces and it worked beautifully. Just spray it on, let it sit for about a minute, and the masking literally wipes off the piece. Rinse under water to remove remaining residue, and you are done. I haven’t used it on proofgrade, but I used it on laserable acrylic with paper masking and with plastic masking and it worked great on both, causing no damage to the acrylic.

8 Likes

What is that stuff? Like what’s the active incredient?

According to the MSDS it contains ethanol, which may lead to long-term crazing of your acrylic.

1 Like

This is the MSDS for Rapid Remover: https://rapidtac.com/msds/rapidremoversds.pdf
It has several compounds in it, but not ethanol. You may have been looking up the MSDS for Rapid Tac, which is a different product by the same company that does contain ethanol.

2 Likes

I use Rapid Remover when removing vinyl graphics from vehicles and windows. It is a very effective product… but it is not meant for use on plastics.

3 Likes

Always nice to get new tips! And Welcome to the Community!!

1 Like

I just use a piece of acrylic to scrape off the masking. So far I haven’t seen any scratches.