Mandala lamp

I got into mandalas right as the covid thing hit. My wife eventually asked me what I was going to do with them all (I have amassed quite pile of them). That is when this idea hit me. Sized so that I did not have to use the passthrough but big enough to work. 8 sided (6 sides + top and bottom) Inside there are 3 LED panels 16 x 15 leds each (total of 768 leds). Small trinket M0 board from adafruit drives them. The mandalas are 4 layers thick to allow the openings to be large enough to pass some light. Stand is a hacked ikea lamp , I believe the holmo model. I used cheap printer paper to defuse the light.

By default, it randomly cycles through about 20 patterns. It has a rotary encoder/ switch to allow the user to set the brightness, pick the color, pick a single pattern or have it cycle, select if the colors within the pattern change or not. That part mostly works. I like the random pattern, cycling colors at default brightness anyway. yep the house is a mess. i blame the 3 year old. He blames me.

36 Likes

The guts

14 Likes

Beautiful work!

I’m working on a somewhat less awesome lantern driven by an Arduino Nano, which I hope to wire up tomorrow, time permitting. I opted for a capacitive sensor on the top instead of a rotary encoder, because I always loved touch-switches on lamps when I was a kid. Magic! :slight_smile:

768 LEDs! Whoooo. How bright is it?

3 Likes

Nice work!

2 Likes

What power supply are you using? If these are 5v ws2812x’s, they should pull over 40 amps at fulll white brightness, which is a bit… high.

2 Likes

It could double as a salamander grill! :smiley:

2 Likes

This is a work that calls for video.

3 Likes

I have a 5 V, 10 A supply. Running them at 1/2 brightness by default and the code never lets it go full white. Methinks this limits worst case to ~1/4 of potential current draw. I wired it so that each panel is powered directly to minimize voltage drop across the array.

2 Likes

Not as bright as one might think. If i allowed it to make full white, it would be very bright but i like rich colors which tend to only use 2 of the 3 colors at a time and only one of them at full strength. On top of that, i limit brightness to 50%.

2 Likes

Those are great! Love all those colors to showcase the mandalas.

4 Likes

These cast a cheerful glow.

4 Likes

wow That is very nice

3 Likes

Here is a time-lapse video of it. My cell phone camera does not pick up the richness of the color well . It changes rather slowly so real time video look a lot like a photo unless one is very patient.

2 Likes

That’s a cool use for the mandalas!

3 Likes

Nice! Those guts look complicated.

3 Likes

Nice shape. Spectacular work, as always!

2 Likes