Maslow, the $350 4' x 8' CNC router

We call that “feeds and speeds” and yes, the Maslow will be slow as mud. A $20K shopbot can plow through 3/4" ply in a single pass and good speed. I need 3 passes at around 4-5 ips with my handibot.

I won’t know for sure until I get one set up and get to play with it but I’d SWAG the Maslow for .200" passes at less than 2ips.

4 Likes

That deep? With a small, sharp bit and no knots… (And also perhaps depending on how close to the original line you insist on cutting.)

That sir is a wild card!

2 Likes

One of the many booths I wanted to visit and chat with. They were right across the aisle from us. Here is a shot of them later on Sunday. They were a bit tired I think.

15 Likes

I’ve been watching this one too. I’ve been tempted, but I’m trying to focus on one thing at a time!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

The lady has that look of “I can end this all super fast, right here , right now. Why did I ever agree to design and market a new product and kick start it. Just a quick stabby, stabby with this sword…”

12 Likes

Especially considering where she’s got it pointed :grinning:

9 Likes

I wasn’t too surprised to hear that the tolerance in the far corners were as large as .06". Sure, the math can be worked out just fine, but calibration and having a rigid enough structure so as to achieve higher precision would be on the purchaser I think to make sure they designed the bed well enough. But for such a large format, perhaps the precision is good enough?

3 Likes

I wonder if having some sort of tension from the bottom (bungees or the like) would help with precision. It should also keep the carriage tighter against the work. But the beauty of their crowdsourced, open source model is, I’m sure somebody’s already thought of it and tried it!

2 Likes

Weights are probably better because they keep the tension roughly constant. A bungee would vary tremendously from one corner to the the other.

3 Likes

I almost just ordered one…

Put the debit card down…

It looks so simple I almost want to try building one myself.

1 Like

It’s Open Source so you can. It depends how easy it is to get the parts and how much they cost. I made a living selling open source kits that people could self source if they wanted to. A few did but it didn’t save them much money because they had to buy the parts in low volume from multiple vendors and the postage adds up.

5 Likes

Yeah I already see a mental list of all my parts but I dont know sizes or specs yet.

Did you have the opportunity to talk to the Italian outfit that had the “roller skate” CNC? They were over by one of the doors, not too far from the Maslow. Same type of large CNC concept (I think they said 5 meter “legs”) but obviously on a flat, horizontal surface. They didn’t have it working when I visited, but they did have some video. If I understood correctly, they are looking at a future Kickstarter.

Unfortunately, I did not. They had quite a few people around the booth at the time. It looked pretty interesting though.

Is this it?

7 Likes

Yes, this (www.goliathcnc.com) was the one I was talking about. It doesn’t seem to be as far along in development as the Maslow. I think they mention a Kickstarter in the fall. I could not remember the price they mentioned, but think in the video they mention it being around $1500. I was curious as to the possibility of concrete marking, but the response was that the uneven hardness would be too difficult a problem for this machine. Some hope for marking/engraving something like a marble surface. I think that similar to the Maslow, plywood sheets will be the target material. Just have to wait and see what the specifications are.

1 Like

The Shaper Origin is a little over the $1500 price point that the Maslow people mentioned.
It seems to solve the “takes up too much space” problem that CNCs tend to have.
It is supposed to start shipping in September (if there are no delays).
They do not have a forum, so there has not been a stream of updates or other info.

2 Likes

they’re taking their sweet time with that! but i think it’s because, like with the glowforge, it’s mostly out of a sense of wanting to do it right the first time. the origin has been on my wishlist since they launched, haha! what a fun way to get to work with wood of functionally limitless sizes!

1 Like

Ugh. I completely embarrassed myself by asking if this was a new version of the shaper. I ended up coming back later with a friend with a couple of cans of coke from the vending machine.

4 Likes