Material Thickness Alert

Hi all,
I have been engraving on some iPhone cases and all has been well. But today while starting a new one, I kept getting the Material Thickness Warning. I’m not sure why, the case is .4" which clears the max height and it was also entered on the app. I tried putting in some proofgrade material and it also said the same thing even when it was selected up top. Tried recalibrating and was still giving me the same warning. It still lets me print though, but the artwork engraves lower than I enter.
Any Ideas as to why this might be happening? Thanks!

1 Like

Did you get the error before or after hitting the Print button? If after, it should have scanned your job and you can see the head go over where it thinks the project is and it hits it with a red dot laser you can see. If that doesn’t hit the phone case you might have an issue.

You’ve got the phone case directly on the bed?

Since the PG issue allows you to print but the artwork is engraving lower (misaligned from where you thought you dropped it I’m assuming) it points to a focusing problem. That points to a possibly dirty lid camera lens (or the head camera/targeting laser). I’d clean the head camera & the two LEDs on the side of the camera as well as the bottom of the head itself with a Zeiss wipe.

It happens occasionally and I just ignore it as I know things are placed and entered correctly and it’s worked out fine thus far.

1 Like

The only explanation I can think of is the height sensor is broken, not calibrated properly, or has its alert threshold set incorrectly. None of which can be affected by we mere users. However, if you’re certain the material clears the air assist, I’ve found you can safely ignore the warning.

I’ve been getting that warning frequently lately when I’m using proofgrade plywood. I just ignore it and it seems to work fine, but I don’t know why it started appearing. . .

The alert does come up after the scan. I’ve tried cleaning as much as I could and unfortunately it’s still doing it. I’m gonna try a different case and hope that it works well. In case it continues, I’ve measured how much it’s misaligned so if it happens again I’ll adjust accordingly. Thanks guys!

Is the scan / red dot actually hitting the material?

Yeah, the dot hits the material. Just a thought, but do you think that maybe it matters where I place the phone case on the bed? I’ll try different orientations and placements on the bed.

Thanks for letting us know about this. I’m sorry for my late response.

I’m looking into this, and I’ll be in touch when I have more information.

Thanks for your patience.

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.