Material thickness problem

I put in 1/2 wood into glowforge with tray and change wood settings to 1/2 for focus and it keeps telling me error and will not print. I have only had machine for a week so in still trying to figure it all out but can’t seem to figure this out.

Try using the set focus tool. It could be that the wood is slightly thicker than 1/2" so you might be better off removing the crumb tray, elevating the material about 1" and then using the set focus tool without inputting any thickness.

1 Like

If I take it tray, what do you use to raise it up 1 inch?

There are some risers in the free laser design section you can use, or anything you have handy that would lift the material but would still allow it to be flat/level. Some people use scrap wood pieces. Here are the risers I use: X-Risers

1 Like

Thank you!

Thanks for the help @dklgood !

It’s possible that the material you’re printing on is too thick.

You can print on objects up to 2" thick by removing the crumb tray. However, your Glowforge can’t focus too far down, so you may need to put something laser-compatible underneath your material to lift it up. Raise it until the top surface of your material is between 1.5" and 2" (50 mm) high, measured from the metal plate on the bottom.

Our community has developed some great Tips and Tricks, and this illustrated guide might be just what you need.

Would you let us know if printing without the crumb tray resolves the trouble?

hi @mmdelgado2. It’s been a while since Jeremy’s response, and we wanted to check in and see if printing without the crumb tray was able to help. If you’re still running into any print trouble, let us know and we’ll be happy to help. Thank you!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.