Material will cut but not engrave

Hi everyone, I am trying to engrave a flag onto non prograde leather and then cut it out. When I send the file it will not engrave, the laser isn’t even firing during this part of the design and then it cuts the design just fine. I don’t get it, I have tried adjusting the power and speed, still nothing happens.

This is pretty typical behavior for a design that has duplicate objects stacked on top of one another. It effectively knocks out any part that is overlapped, but it still goes through the motions.

I would open it up in your vector editor (Illustrator, Inkscape, etc.) and check to see if you don’t have elements that are duplicated.

11 Likes

Welcome to the forum.
You have come to the right place for help and to benefit from the experiences of others. If you spend lots of time reading through the forum and narrowing your focus via the search function, you will be richly rewarded.
When two vectors overlap, the Glowforge interface cancels out that area, so if you have script text that isn’t “welded” the overlapping parts will not engrave. Similarly a design that has been duplicated and is stacked one on top of the other will be ignored.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community Dylan,

Which design software do you use? In Inkscape you can just select the design and drag it to the side to see if there is a duplicate underneath.

3 Likes

Yes, That was the issue! I had a clear no fill duplicate layer thank you!

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Glad to see your issue was resolved. As you witnessed this forum is loaded with super smart people (I’m not one of them) that are eager to help ( I am one of these though). As you progress in your laser journey always feel free to reach out to one of us. We all started out just like you, in fact we still rely on one another for tips and insights. Your best path moving forward is one that has you spending as much time as possible here on this forum, reading, discussing and searching the archives for more information. I look forward to seeing what you create and having you become an active member.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.