Materials Engineering Puzzle

Ditto :slight_smile: that wave pattern is something I remembered clearly for such high energy bonding projects :sunny:
Always wanted to try that to bond gold to titanium sheet, but never had the cash for that. Have a few other ideas on the back burner as access to explosives bonding is a bit tricky these days.

The art work over our library was made with explosive welding (nm tech). While I played with ternary trialuminides (boy autocorrect had fun with those), one of the other guys got to build pipe bombs for his masters (trying to determine the type of explosive used by studying the metal grain deformation afterwards. Suprised his shopping list at various hardware stores didn’t set off any alarms).

1 Like

Everything looks better in gold, it’s just not always affordable :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The lighting in a shop I worked at once, was so poor, I did that by accident.

2 Likes

Would have been fun! I had to join the Army National Guard to get summer explosives training between my junior & senior year. :grin:

2 Likes

I work with explosives daily and they still amaze me. Here is another example of what you can do with a little bang. This was not engraved or etched with anything other than explosives and a pattern. Thermite welding is also a very interesting way to go about welding.

8 Likes

I’ve watched lots of thermite welding vids. I had no idea it is so common. One thing about the Glowforge, it’s discovering all the technology and skill needed to make the world go round. My engineer brother always shakes his head and laughs. Poetry us nice, but without engineers, we’d be dead.

5 Likes

Explosive welding is amazing.

Last laser thursday someone - I forget who - engraved a series of 1-kerf-wide ridges on two pieces of plywood, then pressed the faces together. They snapped together and stuck like glue. It was rather remarkable.

15 Likes

That’s a unique piece! Instant engrave.

2 Likes

Reminds me of the mythbusters episode where they layered pages from two phone books. After the fact they couldn’t find a fixturing method strong enough to pull them apart. Darn friction :wink:

6 Likes

I remember the electronic bagpipes from that show :blush:

1 Like