MDF in a rainbow of Pantone colors

I’ve recommended Smokey Hill Designs in the past as another materials option for people. They have some lovely unfinished plywoods and great customer service. They’ve since added printed MDF and acrylic called PatternPly that comes in all sorts of fun patterns. But they have just announced PatternPly MDF in hundreds of solid Pantone colors. [This link is for box assortments, but you can also order 1/4" and 1/8" by specific color.]

No painting required. :wink:

23 Likes

well isn’t that interesting! thanks for the heads up.

7 Likes

bookmarking this, thanks!

4 Likes

Thanks for letting us know!

3 Likes

The colored mdf is nice (and a bit expensive at $12-15/sheet or so), but the 1/16" ply, now that’s worth looking at. I wonder what it’s made of?

6 Likes

Given that draftboard is $9/sheet, I think that’s a pretty good deal for colored stock already cut down to GF size.

The plywood is veneer with an MDF core. It’s not right for every project, but it cuts beautifully, shipping is fast, and his quality control is quite good. You can sometimes nab seconds for a great discount. They often just have a rough edge or chipped corner, etc., which most people with lasers won’t care about.

Best of all, he’s got a small, family business that started with just a bit of plywood and has really taken off.

6 Likes

yeah, all things considered its “a bit” expensive.

I buy my mdf at a lumber supplier and get it for far far less (about $0.50/sheet), but then I am on the hook for cutting and masking. Luckily I have the space and kind of like that process, so it all works out.

7 Likes

it’s expensive if you think of it as painted wood.

if it’s actually pantone accurate? then it’s not so bad. using pantone inks when you print can be more expensive than a cmyk mix.

i do wonder if they’ve licensed with pantone (and if pantone would get pissed if they saw they were doing this).

7 Likes

They offer a sample board with all the colors, so you can have a reference. Obviously ink looks different depending on the substrate. I have no idea if they’ve license with Pantone. :slight_smile: I’m just excited to have the option of a rainbow of MDF colors.

As for expense, I hate painting and sanding, so I guess it’s relative to how you feel about your time and what you enjoy doing with it!

5 Likes

so many folks value their time at ZERO it is amazing.

5 Likes

there is such a thing as “pantone paint,” so they may be using that. it’s actually really useful if you’re working with a company and they want you to use their brand colors.

5 Likes

They are definitely printed. I’d assume UV.

1 Like

hrm. ok. curious if pantone makes UV inks for printers. or certifies someone’s pantone versions.

2 Likes

Is it a coated material with an mdf like plywood, or is it just colored mdf? (I assume it’s ply based on the name, but ya never know.) I still have a stack of beautiful colored mdf I got in anticipation of my GF arriving years ago, and it’s still sitting there untouched, so clearly I don’t need more of that. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: (Seriously, I hoard material and will avoid using my favorite at all cost. It’s an illness I tell you, an illness.)

I didn’t get my mdf here, but it looks to be the same. And now I may not need to hoard it so much since this place is only an hour away from me. :eyes: :grimacing:

8 Likes

I have this same illness, it’s ridiculous, I buy the thing to make the project and then it’s like… ehhh maybe I should not use up all the thing on this project. I will buy more of the thing and THEN I can make the project. When really what I make is more shelving for material.

10 Likes

Suffering from the same disease. I have stacks of pretty material - mdf, acrylic, veneers and laserble items. It was the same when I sewed and never got out of Vogue Fabrics in Illinois without a hit on my wallet. I don’t sew anymore and after years I have finally emptied the fabric bins.

10 Likes

Same!

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. I like the 1/16 inch option as well as the lovely colors.

5 Likes

Hobby vs business. I tend to spend more time than money with one-off fun projects where the journey brings joy.

3 Likes

That is great as long as people planning on selling stuff at some point keep that in mind.

I saw a guy at a show once with an amazing scroll saw cut dollhouse. priced really cheap, as I have one and know what is involved with what he made. I said wow! why so cheap? he said I cannot sell it for what it really costs. I was thinking then don’t make it.

2 Likes