Meditation Lamp (one for me and one for a close friend)

Made a shadow lamp with a box, for meditation. 1/8th Baltic birch finished with mineral oil. Mineral oil gave it a reddish glow. The other lamp was not finished with oil and it didn’t have the same visual effect, a bit on the dull side. The only issue was kerf compensation was not good. So there is some light escaping at the edges. I am wondering if just making the box not accounting for kerf might be better. A tighter joint with glue may be?

37 Likes

That is such a nice lamp. The images that it casts on the walls and ceiling are really cool looking.

4 Likes

That is really lovely!

1 Like

I love how the light casts across the room! So nice!

1 Like

That is a very nice lamp. Great effect! The graphics are really neat. The person in meditation is great!

1 Like

if you want to be totally sure that no light escapes the seams, you could cut some little strips to glue into each inside seam (i illustrated 2, you would need to cover all the seams)

4 Likes

Thank you, that is a great idea. I was planning to put strips on the outside to cover the charred joints but your idea is better. Thanks :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Way cool. I wish I could cross my legs like that again…

3 Likes

The smaller the light the better the projection, I have used LED “candles” where the the small cross-section made the ceiling image the sharpest. Yours is excellent from all sides!

2 Likes

Thank you, I have ordered some from Amazon.

2 Likes

Love this, the top reflection in particular is so cool, it’s like a light on a light!

3 Likes

Oh this is nice!!! We decorated our landscape with the yin and yang theme and added a Buddha water fountain so seeing this was just so perfect! Love love love this!

1 Like