Medium Frosted Acrylic not cutting through

Are you sure the lens was put back in correctly?

Only halfway through seems to be a focus problem, especially if you just did a cleaning - either a problem with the autofocus value when it did its scan, or the lens is backwards causing the beam to be out of focus at that range.

1 Like

There are two windows outside the head, plus the lens and the mirror. I would double check the thickness being used as well. My experience is the Proofgrade settings are perfect only when everything else is, otherwise I kick it up some.

Everything was meticulously cleaned. Other materials cut correctly

1 Like

Then I would see what the proof grade settings do and kick it up a notch.I would also run a test on any material with a wide range of settings and save the test for future reference

Or glowforge could adjust the proofgrade settings. Isn’t that why one would pay more for the proofgrade so you don’t have to fiddle?

3 Likes

Indeed, and why I use non proofgrade and run tests. Someone borrowed my fiddle and did not return it, so I just go with the reference.

1 Like

Mine is clean as well. I got around to taking some measurements and the Medium PG Clear measures .109 the
Medium PG Frosted was at .143 had to slow down speed to cut all they way through. I checked 6 different pieces of Medium PG I had on hand and the all came in at .109 to .124

Well they should definitely update the presents then

I have had the frosted before and it was not thicker like this last sheet. Luckily I only bought one sheet of frosted when I ordered last.

Do you have calipers? They’re really an essential item. See if you can measure the acrylic. It would be very strange if it were a slightly different thickness since it’s such a standard material, but if it is GF should know about it. *I stand corrected, but still think a measurement would help!

It was a little thicker than the clear

You’d be surprised at the tolerances:

I’m not sure I would be that surprised. :slight_smile: Seriously, though, if it’s visibly off, a measurement would be good. Just saying it’s thicker than something else doesn’t say anything. Saying that it’s X thick allows GF to ensure it’s within their expected range and tweak settings if they need to.

And I edited my post. :slight_smile:

They sell the material and set the parameters for the material. I can post the exact thickness down to the micron but I am hoping that glowforge will adjust their settings so i don’t have to. When i buy proofgrade material it is so I don’t have to fiddle with settings. I use plenty of non proofgrade material and i expect variation and experimentation. I do not expect that for proofgrade. At least one other person reported the same issue with the same material so it seem fairly straight forward. Eg glowforge needs to update the settings for this material or ensure that the material is consistent for the current settings

Right, but the point I’m trying to make is that without the numbers there is no way for them to know if it’s a bad batch that they need to deal with or settings that don’t work.

Anyway, I have no skin in this game. It was just a suggestion.

I’ll be happy to post the exact dimensions when i get home. It kind of highlights my point though, mainly that i should not have to measure board thickness for proofgrade , that is the whole point of paying the premium for that material

I would love for glowforge to chime the n here

Thank you for letting us know about this. I have followed up with you via email about this issue, so I’m going to close this thread.