Medium Maple Plywood not cutting all the way through

I was cutting a piece of proof grade medium maple and it did not cut all the way through the material on the last 3rd of the project. As you can see on the attached photos, the material to the left cut fine, however as it progressed through the cut pass the parts on the right began to only cut most of the way through.

I would think this wouldn’t be a problem with Proofgrade and really why not throw a little extra power or slow down the speed slightly on the settings to insure this was not a problem.

I have a Pro model.

Drew Satterlee

2 Likes

Are you certain that it detected the correct PG material?
(top left corner of the GUI shows what it thinks is loaded)

Because then people would complain about the quality of the cut (black edges, etc.)

I can see a lot of shadows around the holes - was that wood perfectly flat? Wonder if it might have some twist in it?

1 Like

The troubleshooter for this is here:

https://glowforge.com/support/topic/troubleshooting/cut-didnt-go-through-material

Three leading causes: material warped, crumb tray tilted or dirty lenses/windows/mirrors.

Yes, it definitely was showing with the correct proofgrade material.

I suppose that is likely if it was taken too far. However my edges are already black so not really a big impact. This isn’t my first project and proofgrade med maple doesn’t seem to have much over laser too it as I frequently have light cutting to the backside protective paper.

I do use magnets for warping however this board when I ran it was nice and flat.

Thanks for letting us know. I’m sorry that your print didn’t come out beautifully!

To cut successfully, there are three important things to check. First, your material must lie flat. This requires a clean, properly installed crumb tray and flat materials. Second, there must be no obstructions, dirt, or damage preventing the laser light from reaching your material. Third, your design must be set up properly - for example, with lines that are fully on the material and that are set to cut. It’s hard to know which issue might be affecting your print, so please thoroughly inspect your unit and design according to the suggestions in our troubleshooter.

Once you’ve inspected and cleaned, please try another print. We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Please print the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade Draftboard near the area of the bed where your Maple Plywood failed to cut through, and let us know the result. If it doesn’t print well, please let us know the date and time of your print and send photos of the front and back of the print.

Thank you in advance!

3 Likes

Hello, I am following this closely, as I have also had the same problem.
Thank you.

Vee,

Just finished with the test print on the medium draftboard of the Gift of Good Measure. Everything worked and the cuts were complete though they barely went through the backing paper. Nothing to complain about on my side. Thank you for the Troubleshooter link and recommendations.

Drew