Medium Maple plywood proofgrade not cutting all the way through

Seems to still be an issue that in some cases the :glowforge: is not cutting all the way through Medium Maple Plywood. Very frustrating since I didn’t realize this until after moving my parts, and since the :glowforge: camera doesn’t exactly line up, I can’t really reinsert the piece. I wish the piece was smaller so I didn’t waste so much. Trying again, and going to run a 2nd lap around if I can’t lift pieces with masking tape.

I realize there will be some natural variation - It’s wood. The pieces are flat, so that’s not an issue. Any guarantee? I just placed an order for more :proofgrade: today, but didn’t expect to need more Medium Maple Plywood.

Can we get a setting on our :glowforge:s that allow us to cut at 105% for certain materials?

If you really want to make sure, you could run the cut a second time before trying to move them. Or, change it to manual cut, and leave all of the settings the same except increase the number of passes to 2.

Also, even tiny variations can make a difference, so while it may seem flat, make sure you thoroughly check the bed for any debris before placing new material.

2 Likes

Another way to increase power in an operation is to reduce the speed.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know. I’m sorry that your print didn’t come out beautifully!
To cut successfully, there are three important things to check. First, your material must lie flat. This requires a clean, properly installed crumb tray and flat materials. It sounds like you’ve already checked this part.

Second, there must be no obstructions, dirt, or damage preventing the laser light from reaching your material. Third, your design must be set up properly - for example, with lines that are fully on the material and that are set to cut. It’s hard to know which issue might be affecting your print, so please thoroughly inspect your unit and design according to the suggestions in our troubleshooter.

Once you’ve inspected and cleaned, please try another print. We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Please print the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade Draftboard and let us know the result. If it doesn’t print well, please let us know the date and time of your print and send photos of the front and back of the print.

Thanks for the support and the credit! The GF team has bee amazing!

I’ll run the test and let ya know!

Cheers,
Jon

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.