Mermaid Window, stained glass effect

Made a fake (draft board) stained glass window to resemble the mermaid window from Harry Potter. I used tape to try to get all the pieces out intact. I did lose a couple tiny ones. Then I painted the “glass” and black “metal” pieces with acrylic paint. Took about 4 hours to paint. Because of the kerf, this mirror would totally fall apart, so on the back I Modge Podge glued it, brushing layers in numerous directions- up, down, diagonal, etc. Then I painted the back with black acrylic paint because light was still showing through the kerf. I truly love it, just wish it was bigger. It is about 11 inches tall.

I had to make it using the camera bed trace method, because although I tried to make it in Vector, GF still rejects the file as an upload to cut. Not understanding Vector very well, or scarcely at all, is holding me back.

New to Glowforge- less than a month with the machine.

35 Likes

Nice! I can’t imagine what you’ll accomplish once you master making vector files if this is what you do without!

3 Likes

Thank you for the encouraging comment!

1 Like

Super job. That’s a great faux-stained glass. Just goes to show you that you don’t have to get everything exactly right to get a really nice project completed. Most people wouldn’t have a clue that any of what you see as issues aren’t either not noticeable or think they’re totally intentional.

2 Likes

Good job! Just the fact that you made that with the GF trace feature is commendable…as is the amount of work you put in to make it a reality.

1 Like

Like everyone else already said, great job and shows great promise. You obviously have a great deal of desire and patience. Your projects are going to get better and better. Keep sharing please.

2 Likes

Thanks for the comment. Slight issues aside, it felt like a successful project.

1 Like

Thanks! The GF trace feature is really pretty powerful and allows a work around for people like me that don’t have a handle on vector yet. I love the potential to use that feature with children’s artwork.

3 Likes

Really amazing job! You are going to be unstoppable once you master vectors.

3 Likes

That is a fantastic start. You can download Gimp and Inkscape and the only cost is the effort to learn how to use them, and that is not terrible, :smile:

1 Like

Best trace piece I have seen.

4 Likes

Thanks for the comment! I look forward to figuring more things out.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch!

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

1 Like

lol. Thanks for the comment!

1 Like

Great job! Congrats on seeing it to completion!

1 Like